Umgul was a mist-covered planet in the Mid Rim. Its capital was Umgul City. The planet's climate was humid and cool, while dense fog and deep hanging clouds were almost omnipresent. Though it was once a conquest of the Infinite Empire, the planet's natural resources were of no relevance and it was of little strategical importance. Nevertheless, the planet was famous throughout the galaxy as a center for gambling and sports attractions, most important the Umgullian Blob Racing.
Gambling was considered so important on the planet that cheating was punished by death. Cheating was a persistent problem at the races and it had even been suggested by the Umgullian Racing Commission that punishment by death was too lenient.
In 39 BBY, the Jedi Order received information from an anonymous informant about a storehouse on Umgul that was full of Sith artifacts, such as partially-constructed weapons and devices, as well as copies of Dr. Murk Lundi's texts and teachings and a drawing of a Sith holocron on one of the storehouse's walls.
Lando Calrissian came to Umgul in 11 ABY to find a possible candidate for Luke Skywalker's Jedi academy. The lead, Tymmo, nicknamed Dack, was rumored to have predictive abilities due to his successes at gambling. However, Lando, with the help of R2-D2, discovered that he was cheating and exposed him. Rather than be punished by death, as was the law on Umgul, Dack was returned to the Duchess Mistal. In return, Lando was rewarded with one million credits.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Jedi Apprentice Special Edition: The Followers (Mentioned only)
- Clone Wars Gambit: Siege (Mentioned only)
- Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (Advertised destination only)
- Star Wars: Rebellion
- Jedi Search (First appearance)
- Champions of the Force (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Rebellion: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- The Jedi Academy Sourcebook
- The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 19 (MID3, Planets of the Mid Rim)
- The Essential Atlas
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook