Umpass-stay was born into slavery on the agricultural planet Shawti. Growing up, he was taught to regulate and organize the mud baths of Hutts. He worked as a bodyguard for Shebba Desilijic Kalshi, eventually becoming the Hutt's favorite, but failed to prevent his murder at the hands of Shebba's nephew, Jabba Desilijic Tiure. Despite being a capable bodyguard, Umpass-stay had failed to see Jabba as a risk.
Jabba appropriated Umpass-stay's services and forced him to work as a spy. He also sat in as a drummer for the Max Rebo Band with the Weequay Ak-rev. Umpass-stay was ordered to be a drummer for extra security after a group of musicians attempted to assassinate Jabba. As he was not among the denizens who followed Jabba to the fateful event at the Great Pit of Carkoon in 4 ABY, Umpass-stay became a free man. Unfortunately, with no clear prospects outside Hutt influence, he became an employee at another Desilijic clan house where he helped Darson Kinderlot find passage to Hutt Space. Umpass-stay became an employee of Jocoro Desilijic Tiure on the planet Du Hutta.
Behind the scenesEdit
Umpass-stay was added to the extended musical number in the Special Edition of Return of the Jedi.
Under the latex was Miles V. Fawkes, who was picked for the role because of his background and study of Taiko Drumming.[source?]
Umpass-stay was made into an action figure along with Ak-rev, who both had separate parts of the drum.[source?]
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance) (Special Edition)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: Umpass-stay)
- Star Wars Trilogy Sourcebook, Special Edition
- Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic
- "Who's Who in the Max Rebo Band"—Star Wars Insider 67
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Trilogy
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 75 (MAX7-8, The Max Rebo Band)