- "You were at Galidraan…tell me, how did one mere man kill so many of your kind?"
"With his bare hands."
- ―Darth Sidious and Darth Tyranus, speaking about Jango Fett
Unarmed combat, martial arts, or hand-to-hand combat was a type of fighting employed in close quarters and in which no weapons were used. Most species practiced this kind of combat, and a number of sentient species and cultures also developed it into different martial arts proper. A person who practiced martial arts was known as a martial artist, and an expert was called a martial arts master.
- "There is no man who is my equal in hand-to-hand combat. Except perhaps, if the stories are true, a Jedi Knight."
The Echani martial art was an unarmed combat discipline known to be taught to military special forces throughout the galaxy. The Jedi also supplemented their skills in lightsaber combat with unarmed combat training. Furthermore, some Force organizations like the Followers of Palawa created their own martial art, the Teräs Käsi. In technologically advanced civilizations, the need to train soldiers in hand-to-hand and melee combat was a result of research breakthroughs in blaster-deflection, such as the personal energy shields. Warlike people such as the Mandalorians trained in a variety of fighting techniques, including unarmed combat; they were known to develop shields which resisted physical attacks.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- The Old Republic: Deceived
- Darth Plagueis (Indirect mention only)
- Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
- Episode I Adventures Game Book 4: Jedi Emergency
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace game
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- "One of a Kind"—Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Volume 8
- Star Wars: Clone Wars – "Chapter 12"
- Star Wars: Clone Wars – "Chapter 13"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bombad Jedi"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Hidden Enemy"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Monster"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bounty"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Rise of Clovis"
- MedStar I: Battle Surgeons
- Star Wars: Clone Wars – "Chapter 24"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith video game
- Death Star
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Shadows of the Empire novel
- Shadows of the Empire audio book
- Shadows of the Empire junior novelization
- Star Wars 72: Fool's Bounty (First appearance)
- Star Wars 79: The Big Con
- Star Wars: Masters of Teräs Käsi
- Death Star Technical Companion
- Cracken's Rebel Field Guide
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, Second Edition (As "martial arts")
- Death Star Technical Companion, Second Edition
- Galladinium's Fantastic Technology
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: Xizor's Dirty Handiwork) (as martial arts)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: Luke Hones His Lightsaber Skills)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: Guri Goes Toe-to-Toe with Luke)
- Shadows of the Empire Planets Guide
- Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear
- Star Wars: The Art of the Brothers Hildebrandt
- Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords: Prima Official Game Guide
- Galaxy at War
- Star Wars: Head-to-Head (as Martial arts)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Head-to-Head (as Spin kick)
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Senate Guard)
- The Bounty Hunter Code: From the Files of Boba Fett
- (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Notes and referencesEdit
- Unarmed combat on Wikipedia