- "You must open the door."
"I…must open the door."
"You must put down your rifle and open the door now."
"I must…put down my rifle. Open the door now."
- ―Luke Skywalker mind-tricks the Barabel guard
In the year 3.5 ABY, a combined group of bounty hunters and mercenaries under the leadership of the Barabel Skahtul captured the Jedi Luke Skywalker on the planet Kothlis with the intention of cashing in on the bounty placed on him by the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Vader. With Skywalker imprisoned in a small cell, a male Barabel guard watched over him, only for Skywalker to use a Jedi mind trick to mentally compel the guard to unlock the cell door and take a nap on the bunk inside, thus allowing Skywalker to escape.
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: Vader Seethes Over Luke's Escape)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire Embossed Metal Collector Cards (Card: ISSUE 4: Leia Meets Xizor) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire Embossed Metal Collector Cards (Card: ISSUE 5: The Trap is Set) (Indirect mention only)