- "That last hologram he triggered—the one he mocked—was Nield's father. He went into battle with Nield's three brothers. They all died. Nield was five years old. One month later his mother made preparations to be part of the next great battle. She left him with a cousin, a young girl who was more like a sister to him. His mother went off to fight, and she was killed too."
- ―Cerasi, recounting Nield's childhood to Obi-Wan Kenobi
Around 52 BBY, a battle occurred on the planet Melida/Daan. It was just one of the many conflicts in the war between the native Melida and Daan tribes. The battle took place one month after the Daan Micae and his three oldest sons were killed in another battle. Micae's wife, Leidra, participated in the battle after leaving their last son, Nield, with his cousin. Leidra was killed herself in the battle, leaving Nield an orphan. About eight years later, Nield's friend Cerasi would recount the struggles of his childhood, including this battle, to Jedi Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Behind the scenesEdit
This battle is briefly mentioned in the 1999 young readers book The Defenders of the Dead, the fifth entry in Jude Watson's Jedi Apprentice young readers series. Leidra's death was later mentioned in the entry for Nield in the 2008 compendium The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia. Although Leidra is confirmed to be Daan in Nield's Encyclopedia entry, neither source explicitly states that she fought for the Daan specifically in this battle, nor does either source indicate the identity of the opposing force or the outcome of the battle.
- Jedi Apprentice: The Defenders of the Dead (First mentioned)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II ("Nield") (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Jedi Apprentice: The Defenders of the Dead, p. 65
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Essential Reader's Companion places the events of Jedi Apprentice: The Defenders of the Dead at 44 BBY, and page 54 of Defenders of the Dead indicates that at that time, Nield is approximately the same age as Obi-Wan Kenobi, who is stated to be thirteen years old on the back cover of Defenders of the Dead. Page 65 of The Defenders of the Dead lists several battles that affected Nield's childhood. The first one is identified as occurring when Nield was five years old and therefore sometime around 52 BBY. The second, which this article describes, is noted to be only one month after the first, and therefore it is reasonable to approximate that this battle took place in the same year as the first.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Jedi Apprentice: The Uncertain Path, p. 27
- ↑ Jedi Apprentice: The Defenders of the Dead, p. 55
- ↑ The Essential Reader's Companion, p. 33