Millennia before the Unification Wars, the Rakatan Infinite Empire emerged as the uncontested dominant power in the galaxy. They enslaved many species using their Force-powered hyperdrives, until finally a plague ravaged their empire. The survivors were stripped of their connection to the Force, and could do nothing to prevent the slave uprising that followed. The collapse of the Infinite Empire paved the way for other powers to follow, such as the Duros and Corellians, who reverse-engineered the Rakatan hyperdrive and started to explore the galaxy.
Before a clear new dominant power in the galaxy could be established again, however, the Unification Wars erupted. The infamous warlord Zakrinand Minus commanded forces on one of the warring sides of the conflict, who came to be regarded as near-invincible. The Force-sensitive Jedi Order joined the conflict from their world of Ossus, eventually prevailing over their foes, emerging victorious from the war. Some later historians believed that the mystic Order of Dai Bendu played a role in the victory of the Jedi.
From the chaos of war, several planets from the Core Worlds united, and the constitution for a Galactic Republic was ratified. Among the prominent founders of this thriving democracy were planets such as Coruscant, Corellia, Alderaan and Duro. Although initially wary of the Republic, the Jedi joined with it shortly following the war, taking on the role of peacekeepers. The emblem used by the Dai Bendu during the conflict would be adopted as the official symbol of the Galactic Republic, due to the Force-sensitive order's peaceful nature. The Republic would survive for twenty-five thousand years, enduring in spite of the many conflicts that sought to engulf it.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Unification Wars were first referenced in the 2005 guide Revenge of the Sith Incredible Cross-Sections, which claimed that the conflict led to the Republic's founding. However, the Unification Wars have been ignored by all subsequent sources, most of which seem to indicate that the Republic was founded peacefully. In 2008, The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia was published, providing more details on the conflict via an entry of its own. The official StarWars.com blog post The Imperial Warlords: Despoilers of an Empire in 2013 briefly mentioned the Unification Wars, revealing the warlord Zakrinand Minus' involvement in the conflict, whilst comparing him to Imperial warlord Kosh Teradoc.
- Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith Incredible Cross-Sections (First mentioned)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Complete Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: Incredible Cross-Sections: The Prequel Trilogy
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 According to Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia, the Galactic Republic was founded in 25,053 BBY, so the Unification Wars must have occurred at some point before then.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III, p. 280 ("Unification Wars (I)")
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 The Essential Atlas
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. 70 ("Bendu monks")
- ↑ The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force