- "The Unifying Force bind the stars and planets in space and time. Through this Force, a Jedi can sense the past and future."
The Unifying Force was a concept that found fewer supporters within the Jedi Order than the Living Force. The concept of the Unifying Force was that the Force is a single entity and has neither a light nor a dark side. The Unifying Force was viewed as a deity that neither had sides nor chose them, treating all beings equally. Followers of the Unifying Force always kept their eyes open for future possibilities. In the end, it resulted in them trying to fulfill a destiny rather than focusing on here and now, as the Living Force supporter would do.
Visions of the future were of particular significance to Unifying Force supporters. Yoda was one of the most adamant proponents of heeding visions of the future, though never once acknowledging any of the other views common with the Unifying Force. Many of the Jedi held a similar philosophy, and focused on the flow of time as a whole, ignoring primary use of the Living Force. Voices for the latter espoused a philosophy of "live for the moment" and heavily relied on their instincts. This viewpoint might have allowed the Jedi Order to stave off the conflict that gave rise to the Galactic Empire, as its members lost themselves in looking forward rather than analyzing the unfolding events before them. Yoda later espoused beliefs closer to the philosophy of the Living Force when training Luke Skywalker on Dagobah.
Ironically, Emperor Palpatine, known as Darth Sidious, also supported this belief in the Unifying Force. He agreed that there was only one Force: the only difference worthy of note was that the Sith saw the Force as a means to an end while the Jedi saw it as an end in itself. This view was also supported by Vergere, who taught Jacen Solo that there was no light side or dark side of the Force—only the Unifying Force. Vergere also told Solo that "the Force was everything, and everything was the Force;" that the Force did not have sides and never took sides. However, the Sith Lord Darth Plagueis disagreed with this belief. His own studies of the Force had indicated to him that there was a clear and obvious distinction between the light and dark sides.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 6: Commencement, Part 6 (Mentioned only)
- Darth Plagueis (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (novel) (First mentioned)
- HoloNet News Vol. 531 54 (content now unavailable; backup links 1 2 on Archive.org) (Mentioned only) —
- MedStar II: Jedi Healer (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force (First appearance)
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
- Jedi Academy Training Manual
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- LEGO Star Wars: The Dark Side (Non-canonical source)