- "You know, he's younger in this movie and that's fun because you have to imagine him 10 years earlier in his early 20s. What was he like before he hardened up? Before he had some setbacks? Before he put on this cynical coat? What got him there?"
- ―Lawrence Kasdan
The as-yet-untitled Han Solo Anthology film is the upcoming second film in the Star Wars Anthology Series. The film is centered on a young Han Solo, portrayed by Alden Ehrenreich, as he becomes the smuggler audiences first met in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. It also features Chewbacca in what has been described as an "origin story" for the two characters. It will be directed by Christopher Miller and Phil Lord and written by Lawrence Kasdan and Jon Kasdan. The film is scheduled to be released on May 25, 2018.
- "It's not just any filmmaker who can tell the story of such a beloved icon like Han Solo, and I’m excited to say we've found the perfect team to handle the task."
- ―Kathleen Kennedy
In late 2012, Lawrence Kasdan was invited to Lucasfilm to discuss the new Star Wars projects that George Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy were planning. Lucas had developed ideas for a number of potential films, and Kasdan agreed to write the one based on a young Han Solo. He was also asked to be a consultant for Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, which he ended up co-writing with J.J. Abrams and Michael Arndt.
The project was first announced on February 5, 2013 when Bob Iger, CEO of The Walt Disney Company announced on CNBC that two Star Wars spin-off films were in development, this and Rogue One. On July 7, 2015, the film's release date and subject were announced, as well as its directors, Christopher Miller and Phil Lord, and its additional writer, Jon Kasdan. On March 8, 2016, Iger confirmed that the film was an "origin story about Han Solo and Chewie." Several thousand actors auditioned for the part of Solo, before Alden Ehrenreich was officially announced during Celebration Europe. Additional casting announcements revealed that Donald Glover would play Lando Calrissian and Emilia Clarke would play an unannounced role. Filming began in early 2017, with a working title of "Star Wars: Red Cup."
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2
- ↑ 5.0 5.1
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6
- ↑ Rottenberg, Josh (December 3, 2015). Star Wars screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan on the past, present and future of 'Star Wars'. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved on December 14, 2015.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Heine, Rachel (March 8, 2016). The STAR WARS Prequel is a Chewbacca and Han Origin Story (Report). Nerdist. Retrieved on March 8, 2016.
- ↑ Kroll, Justin (January 11, 2016). 'Star Wars' Han Solo Spinoff: Actor Shortlist Revealed (EXCLUSIVE). Variety. Retrieved on January 11, 2016.
- ↑ Roberts, Dustin (January 30, 2017). The Han Solo Film Has Begun Filming!. TheForce.net. Retrieved on January 30, 2017.
- ↑ Chitwood, Adam (October 31, 2016). Cinematographer Bradford Young Teases "Unexpected" and "Dramatic" Young Han Solo Movie. collider.com. Retrieved on November 1, 2016.