As the tenuous peace of the Cold War brought on by the Treaty of Coruscant collapsed around 3,642 BBY, renewed war between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire, embroiling the galaxy in conflict once again. After almost eleven years of relative calm, events such as Plan Zero, the SpecForce Incident, and the campaign by Darth Angral against the Republic brought the treaty's peace to a breaking point, and both the Republic and the Empire prepared their forces for the war that was soon to come.
When the legendary Jedi Master Revan was freed by a Republic task force from the Sith Emperor's prison in the heart of the Maelstrom nebula, the Emperor was in turn freed of Revan's calming influence and accelerated his plans for galactic annihilation. Revan's attempts to build an army of battle droids using the ancient Rakatan Foundry to destroy the Empire failed when an Imperial fleet assaulted the Foundry and took control of the space station. With the first shots fired, both powers made their move—the Empire immediately invaded the ruined world of Taris and destroyed its fledgling resettlement initiative, while the Republic lent more and more forces to the contested world of Balmorra in an effort to free the planet.
The Jedi Master known as the Barsen'thor, on a mission to bring the independent Rift Alliance back into the Republic fold, joined forces with the Republic Military and the Balmorran Resistance to liberate the planet, returning the rule of Balmorra back to its people, while the Empire tightened its grip on Taris. The Sith also attacked the Republic adrenal-manufacturing world of Quesh, sparking a battle for control of the vital resources of the world, and a simultaneous offensive on the planet Hoth began a fight that intentionally dragged more and more Republic forces into an unwinnable battle.
The Great Galactic War, a twenty-eight–year conflict between the Galactic Republic and the resurgent Sith Empire, was ended in 3,653 BBY when the Empire forced the Republic to sign the Treaty of Coruscant by holding the Republic capital of Coruscant hostage. The treaty officially ended hostilities between the two galactic powers, forcing the Republic to withdraw their troops from battlefields across the galaxy and allowing the Sith Empire to claim wide swaths of territories. The Treaty began a time of fragile peace known as the Cold War, in which both the Empire and the Republic rebuilt their strength and tested each other's weaknesses—but both ensured that the many proxy conflicts between them never escalated into full-blown war.
However, as the Cold War entered its tenth year, large-scale conflict began to break out across the galaxy. Lord Vivicar, a fallen Jedi named Parkanas Tark who served the Sith Empire after being left behind by his fellow Padawans and corrupted by the spirit of the Sith Terrak Morrhage, embarked on a crusade of revenge against the Jedi by tainting dozens of Jedi Masters with a plague of madness. However, the apprentice of Jedi Master Yuon Par rescued the Jedi Masters targeted by Vivicar and freed them of his influence, preventing them from damaging the fragile peace between the Empire and the Republic. The galaxy-wide bounty hunter competition known as the Great Hunt saw many powerful figures on both sides of the Cold War eliminated
The Sith Lord Darth Angral declared war upon the Republic when his son Tarnis was killed at the hands of a young Jedi Knight, and Angral's theft of several Republic superweapons and the subsequent devastation of the Republic agriworld of Uphrades forced the Empire to officially disavow the Sith's actions. Angral would eventually be stopped at the Jedi Order's homeworld of Tython, where the Jedi Knight who was the subject of Angral's wrath fought the Sith Lord to the death and prevented him from using the Desolator superweapon against Tython—earning the title of "Hero of Tython" in the process.
At the same time, the elite Republic Special Forces unit Havoc Squad defected to the Empire in what became known as the SpecForce Incident, leaving only a new recruit behind who refused to join the Empire. That recruit was appointed the new commander of Havoc Squad by General Elin Garza, and a reformed Havoc Squad hunted down the defectors across the galaxy.
Testing the watersEdit
Taris Balmorra Quesh
The events that truly marked the beginning of the new war were those surrounding the fabled Jedi Master Revan. Trapped in statis for the last three hundred years, Revan had been used by the Sith Emperor to see visions of the future and to learn more about the Republic, but Revan was able to manipulate the Emperor in return. The Emperor's request for the Treaty of Coruscant, which had come at a surprise to many members of the Dark Council, had been a result of Revan's subtle influence on the Sith ruler, and it was Revan's mind that had kept the Emperor from setting his true plans in motion for so long. But around 3,642 BBY, the Force ghost of Meetra Surik—Revan's ally who had died in their ill-fated confrontation with the Emperor so long ago—appeared to the Jedi Master Oteg.
War in earnestEdit
- "...the Emperor and his proxies have made their intent clear. Their fleets are entering the Core systems. They have broken the Treaty of Coruscant. Along the Mid Rim, they herd our people into makeshift prisons out of fear of rebellion. Unspeakable crimes have been committed. Survivors in the Mid Rim report the near-wholesale slaughter of colonies. Surrender isn't enough—they only want death. Their captives—our surrendered colonies—are going silent. Let there be no mistake: we are at war."
- ―Chancellor Janarus
The Battle of CorelliaEdit
Battle for the Black Hole Imperial ships are low on hypermatter
Treachery on IlumEdit
Not long after Ilum, the Empire learned the location of the planet Denova—a word with massive deposits of the highly valuable explsoive baradium—and sent an Imperial force under the command of the Nautolan Colonel Grezor to secure the world. The Republic was unable to commit their own forces to the planet, so they hired the Trandoshan warlord Kephess and his army to combat Grezor and the two forces battled for control of Denova over the next several months.
The rise of the Dread MastersEdit
With the death of the Emperor, the Dread Masters saw an opportunity to expand their power in the galaxy as there was no longer anyone powerful enough to control them. Seizing control of a sizable Imperial military force that became known as the Dread Guard, the Dread Masters proceeded to attack Hutt Space a total of fifteen times and took chunks of their territory. They used the power of the Force to spark a mass exodus from Sriluur, they convinced Cartel forces to attack each other in a panic, as well as conjuring a phantom monster to "swallow" entire fleets over the planet Cyborrea. The Supreme Mogul of the Hutt Cartel, Karagga the Hutt, believed that it was the Empire after the ships of the Dread Guard invaded the planet on which he had his favorite holiday estate. In response, the Hutt Cartel attacked ten neutral systems on the edges of their territory in the month following in order to replace the ground lost to the Dread Masters. Karagga refused the Empire's attempts at communication, and the Imperial Diplomatic Service failed to reach an agreement when their Ambassador Rove was stonewalled by Karagga's minions. A Republic ship, the Outrider, under Captain Hardin was sent to investigate a battle in the Vyron system, and the resulting evidence was enough to convince Chancellor Saresh to send an expedition to Hutta. The Empire also sent a strike force of their own, and the resulting battle ended with Karagga's death and the retreat of the Cartel.
Neither the Republic nor the Empire recognized the Dread Masters' hand in the recent events until the rogue Sith turned their attention to Denova. Three months after the start of the conflict there, the Dread Masters took control of Kephess' forces and transformed the Trandoshan warlord into their "vessel". The Sith also placed much of the Imperial forces on the planet under their thrall as well, adding significantly to their growing Dread Guard.
Behind the scenesEdit
The renewed war between the Republic and the Sith Empire serves as the in-universe representation of the events in Acts II and III of the massively multiplayer online role-playing game Star Wars: The Old Republic, released by BioWare and LucasArts on December 20, 2011.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Explorer's Guide: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Star Wars: The Old Republic
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Using comments and information from Star Wars: The Old Republic 8: The Lost Suns, Part 2, The Last Battle of Colonel Jace Malcom, and Star Wars: The Old Republic: Annihilation, it is possible to place the events of the Prologue and Act I for the Jedi Knight, Smuggler, and Trooper classes in Star Wars: The Old Republic in 3,643 BBY, the general events of Act II in 3,642 BBY, and the events of Act III for all classes in 3,641 BBY.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Flashpoint: "Maelstrom Prison"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Balmorra, Act II
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Hoth, Act II
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Anarchy" on Belsavis
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Doomsday" on Dromund Kaas
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Flashpoint: "The Battle of Ilum"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 Star Wars: The Old Republic: Annihilation
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 12.3 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Operation: "Karagga's Palace"
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Republic Mission: "Corellia Rising" on Corellia
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Operation: "Explosive Conflict"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Bounty Hunter Mission: "Number One with a Bullet" on the Tyrant
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Supreme Commander Rans"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "The Dark Council"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Grand Moff Regus"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Flashpoint: "The False Emperor"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Mission: [Heroic] "End of Torvix" on Corellia
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Consular Mission: "A Return Home" on Tython
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Consular Mission: "Vivicar Awaits" on Vivicar's Ship
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Race to the Ruins" on Coruscant
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "New Intelligence" on Ord Mantell
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Uphrades" on Uphrades
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Fate of the Jedi" on the Oppressor
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Flashpoint: "Taral V"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan
[[Category:Battles of the Second Great Galactic War| ]] [[Category:Conflicts]]