|John D. Branon|
|Chronological and political information|
- "I'm hit!"
- ―Branon's last words during the Battle of Yavin.
John D. Branon, sometimes known simply as John "D", was a young Human male pilot who served the Alliance to Restore the Republic during the Galactic Civil War. In 0 BBY, he participated in the Battle of Yavin under the callsign Red Four.
Flying a T-65 X-wing starfighter, Branon was shot down by TIE/LN starfighters during the assault on the first Death Star, among the first pilots who were killed. He and Theron Nett were the only Rebels to die at the hands of TIE pilots during the battle, as the rest of the X- and Y-wings that fell during the battle were destroyed by Darth Vader or gunned down by turbo laser fire.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "My agent kept calling it “Stan Wars”. People had no idea whatsoever. Even on set actors and the stars, who still say so now, were raising their eyebrows about the quality of the writing, and whether or not the dialogue was particularly sayable. As far as I was concerned, playing Red 4, I had two lines or whatever."
- ―Jack Klaff discussing Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope and his role on the film.
Though the film credits list Jack Klaff as the actor portraying John D, the Customizable Card Game names Jack Klaff's character Lt. Naytaan. The CCG creators made an error in naming him Naytaan. According to Leland Chee, Naytaan and John D. are two different pilots.
John D. has been known as "Fake Wedge" among much of the Star Wars community, because of the belief that Jack Klaff played the character of Wedge in the Rebel briefing room scene (a character played by Denis Lawson in every other scene). Pablo Hidalgo has since revealed that "Fake Wedge" was not actually portrayed by Klaff, but rather by actor Colin Higgins.
Insider 59, Who's Who, mistakenly adds Cesi “Doc” Eirriss's photo as a participate of the Battle of Yavin
- Star Wars: Empire at War (First identified as John D. Branon)
- Star Wars radio drama
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope novelization (First appearance) (First identified as John D.)
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope junior novelization
- Star Wars 6: Is This the Final Chapter?
- Omnibus: A Long Time Ago... Volume 1
- Classic Star Wars: A New Hope 2
- Marvel Special Edition Featuring Star Wars 3
- The Marvel Comics Illustrated Version of Star Wars
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, First Edition
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Second Edition
- Star Wars: The National Public Radio Dramatization
- "Rebel Pilot Reunion"—Star Wars Insider 32
- Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays (Indirect mention only)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 1 (YAV6, The Battle of Yavin)
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Special Edition (Indirect mention only)
- "May The Facts Be With You: Part Two: #51-100"—Star Wars Insider 95
- "Pirates of the Boards: Part Three of Six"—Star Wars Insider 95
- "Q&A"—Star Wars Insider 95
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "John D. Branon" - Star Wars: Galactic Files
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded (Indirect mention only)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File initial remake 1 (YAV1-2, The Battle of Yavin)