December 22, 2015 – Wikia, the Home of Fandom and home to the world’s largest Star Wars fan site, announced today that it saw record-breaking traffic to Wookieepedia (StarWars.Wikia.com) over the course of this past weekend. On the heels of the “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” release, Wookieepedia saw over 2 million unique visitors and over 8 million page views on opening day alone. This explosive engagement makes it the biggest single day traffic driver to a community in Wikia’s history, surpassing release day traffic to other major franchises like Fallout 4, Mass Effect and Skyrim.
"Reaching these record-breaking figures on Wookieepedia is a huge milestone for us given that we are the home to some of the world's biggest entertainment fan communities," said Craig Palmer, CEO of Wikia. "It has been astounding to see the tremendous hunger for Star Wars knowledge on Wookieepedia. As fans see the film, we're seeing them immerse themselves in the content and continue the excitement online."
In April, Wookieepedia celebrated its 10th anniversary with a birthday party at this year's Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim, California. There have been over 720,000 contributions made to Wookieepedia since the beginning of 2015, the year of Star Wars.
"We are seeing fans 'awaken' not just on Wookieepedia, but also on Wikia's other numerous Star Wars communities," said Eric Moro, VP of Fan Programming. "This has been a global phenomenon, and we're seeing it in incredible traffic and engagement on our Star Wars communities across the globe."
Key stats from Wookieepedia during opening weekend of "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" include:
- Wookieepedia (Starwars.wikia.com) saw a record 8+ million page views and 2+ million uniques on the day "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" premiered (Quantcast); blowing past all other release day traffic on Wikia, including huge franchise releases like Fallout 4, Mass Effect and Skyrim.
- Wikia has Star Wars communities that cover every nook and corner of Star Wars fandom imaginable (the films, animated series, collectibles, fan fiction, LEGOs, and more!), in major languages like German, Japanese, Spanish, French, Russian, and Portugese. Collectively, these have generated over 99 million pageviews (Google Analytics)
- Top trending pages on Wookieepedia show that fans can’t get enough of the new Star Wars characters and content:
- Kylo Ren: starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kylo_Ren
- Snoke: starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Snoke
- Rey: starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rey
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens: starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Episode_VII_The_Force_Awakens
- Wookieepedia Main Page: starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
- The Wookieepedia audience is young, male and global (Quantcast, Wikia Star Wars Audience Survey, 12/22/15):
- 44% of the traffic comes from the US; the rest is Global
- 83% male
- 68% of our traffic is under 24 (and the highest group is 18 - 24)
- 71% of those who have seen the film plan to see it again in the theater
Wikia is the Home of Fandom and the world's largest entertainment fan site. It is where superfans come together to celebrate their passion for pop culture, entertainment, games and more.
Launched in 2006, the company's core property, Wikia.com, currently boasts 325,000 fan communities and a global audience of over 185 million monthly unique users and growing, making it the largest entertainment fan site in the world.
In addition to the above press release, Wikia put together an infographic recapping the incredible momentum that Wookieepedia saw this weekend.
Congratulations to Wookieepedia! This has been an incredible weekend, and the community is doing a great job documenting all of the latest information from the film.