- "Greetings, young Jedi. What brings you to our remote sanctuary?"
"Unfortunately, the war."
"There's no war here. Unless you brought it with you."
- ―Tion Medon and Obi-Wan Kenobi
Utapau was a rocky remote planet in the Outer Rim Territories' Utapau system that was filled with enormous sinkholes. Its native inhabitants were the Pau'ans and the Utai, while tribes of Amani also immigrated to the world. It was the location of the Battle of Utapau during the Clone Wars.
- "Utapau has long been a target of the Separatists. Dooku and Grievous haven't been able to make inroads with the Pau'ans or the Utai, but if they can enlist the Amani to revolt from within, that could cause dangerous civil unrest."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi
Hundreds of years before the Clone Wars, the native Pau'ans lived on Utapau's surface while the Utai colonists lived underground. Eventually, worsening hyperwind storms and extreme weather forced the Pau'ans to move underground with the Utai, building combined cities into the ledges of giant sinkholes. Stripped of trees by the violent winds of the surface, the new cities were built with numerous animal bones, eventually resembling giant animal skeletons to the casual observer. With the planets groundwater having slowly drained into a giant ocean underneath the planets surface long ago, fresh water was extracted from machines that purified the seawater and also separated any valuable minerals from the ocean.
During the Clone Wars, Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi were sent to investigate the death of Jedi Master Tu-Anh. This led them to locate a massive kyber crystal that the Confederacy of Independent Systems was attempting to acquire. They were able to destroy the crystal before it could fall into Separatist hands.
During the final days of the Clone Wars, a number of key Separatist leaders were stationed on the planet, but were moved to a fortified bunker on Mustafar prior to the battle on the orders of Darth Sidious. General Grievous remained on Utapau to oversee the battle, but met his end at the hands of Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi.
- Star Wars: Force Arena
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Death on Utapau"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "In Search of the Crystal"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crystal Crisis"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Big Bang"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Snare (Mentioned only)
- Tarkin (Mentioned only)
- Last Shot
- Rise of the Rebels (Mentioned only)
- "Sparks"—From a Certain Point of View (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Last Shot
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crystal Crisis"
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Death on Utapau"
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ Adventures in Wild Space: The Snare
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Big Bang"