| V-19 landspeeder|
SoroSuub had designed the V-19 Landspeeder to operate as both civilian and military transports. The vehicle's medium-grade hull plating and reinforced armor made it a common sight on congested urban worlds where collisions were commonplace.
The V-19 was also equipped with thrust pods tucked in at its back to reduce target silhouette. This made it popular with the Naboo Royal Security Forces which deployed it for a range of situations including crowd control, wilderness excursions and urban battles.
Although Naboo was a fairly peaceful planet, the Gian speeder was nonetheless rather heavily armed, with 2 forward light repeating blasters that could easily disable non-military vehicles and an optional blaster cannon turret. Each blaster had its own dedicated auxiliary power unit which allowed it to operate even if the speeder's primary power generator was damaged.
Furthermore the vehicle had one removable medium blaster cannon, that was able to pierce the lower forward armor below the pilot's hatch of an AAT. Some Gian speeders didn't carry this cannon, their pilots favoring a larger windshield.
Each carried a pilot, gunner and 2 passengers which were usually more than enough to handle a situation. Command versions of the vehicle featured holographic projection systems for tactical planning and more advanced communication systems.
When the Trade Federation launched its invasion of Naboo in 32 BBY, many Gian speeders were destroyed in direct combat with heavier Armored Assault Tanks. Following that, the few intact Gian Speeders were used by the resistance movement.[source?] A Gian speeder was used at a Resistance outpost. Lieutenant Gavyn Sykes drove another speeder at an engagement at the south ridge of Theed. During the invasion, Gian speeders were deployed to ambush lone AATs. This created a diversion that allowed Padmé Amidala and a small force to storm the Theed Royal Palace.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
- Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
- Star Wars: Starfighter
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Battle for Naboo
- Star Wars: Battlefront
- Jedi Quest: The Changing of the Guard (As "Gian airspeeder")
- Secrets of the Jedi
- "Decision: Almas"
- "Decision: Cularin"
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
- Labyrinth of Evil (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide
- Episode I: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Arms & Equipment Guide
- The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- Battlefront: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Theed Palace Limited (Card: Gian Speeder)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 72 (Naboo Speeder)
- Star Wars: Complete Cross-Sections
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Arms & Equipment Guide
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Battlefront: Prima Official Game Guide
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 The Official Star Wars Fact File 72
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: Complete Cross-Sections
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Star Wars: Battle for Naboo
- ↑ Battle for Naboo itself refers to its events taking place during the Invasion of Naboo. The New Essential Chronology establishes on page 40 that the invasion happens in 32 BBY.
- ↑ Star Wars: Starfighter
- ↑ Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace