- "If I get a veto, ejection into space. Always had nightmares about that. Brrr."
- ―Aphara requests that Darth Vader not jettison her into the vacuum of space
A vacuum was an area of space which lacked any atmosphere. Most organisms could not survive in the vacuum of space, although there were exceptions, such as the neebray and purrgil. The Givin were also able to survive for a short while in vacuum. Some equipment could allow other organisms to survive in a vacuum, including vacuum-sealed armors like stormtrooper armor, phase I clone trooper armor, and Vader's armor, or breathing apparatus like the A99 aquata breather. One form of execution was to jettison an individual into the vacuum of space, which Admiral Jhared Montferrat used to kill a group of captives he suspected of being Rebel spies. The archaeologist Doctor Aphra asked to veto being jettisoned into a vacuum as a method of execution if the Sith Lord Darth Vader chose to kill her.
As the vacuum of space appears in almost every Star Wars work, this list only includes specific mentions of a vacuum.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rising Malevolence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow of Malevolence"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Snare
- Lords of the Sith
- Lost Stars
- Battle to the End
- Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
- Heir to the Jedi (Mentioned only)
- Darth Vader 4: Vader, Part IV
- "Blade Squadron"—Star Wars Insider 149–150
- Join the Resistance #1 (Mentioned only)