A monument to the Army of LightEdit
At the close of the New Sith Wars, the Brotherhood of Darkness's situation had become so fragile that their leader, Lord Kaan, resorted to the use of a thought bomb to end the war.
Luring the Jedi deep into one of Ruusan's caves, Kaan and his Brotherhood detonated the thought bomb, hoping to wipe out Jedi Lord Hoth's Army of Light. However, Hoth perceived Kaan's strategy and left most of his army behind, taking only ninety-nine Jedi with him (one-hundred in total, including Hoth himself). This sacrifice was not in vain, as the Sith proved unable to control the thought bomb, killing the entire Brotherhood of Darkness and ending the New Sith Wars.
Jedi Knight Johun Othone, Hoth's former Padawan, went against the will of the Jedi Council to build a monument to the heroes of the Army of Light and Lord Hoth, with a mausoleum adorned with massive statues. He also placed a huge Adegan crystal in a meditative chamber for the Jedi. The monuments were made by stones that came from various planets, like the heroes of the Army of Light. The graves of the heroes were contained in a central underground cavern of natural origin, with several satellite chambers hewn around it. They were filled with artifacts that presumably belonged to the fallen Jedi warriors. At least one aqueduct brought water into the Valley.
It is believed that the spirits of the Jedi were trapped and the Bouncers of Ruusan said that they would be freed when a 'Knight' returned to release them.
Shifting nebulae soon erased hyperspace routes to Ruusan, leaving it inaccessible from the Galaxy at large. Because of the monument's "illegality," the Jedi Council forgot about the Valley which eventually became legendary. Yoda and a few others, including Luke Skywalker who learned about it from Yoda, knew about the Valley, but did not know its location or even whether it existed at all.
Poem of AgesEdit
- "And a Knight shall come, a battle will be fought, and the prisoners go free."
- ―Poem of Ages
Over a millennium later, the location of the Valley had been lost to all but a few. The Jedi Master Qu Rahn believed that the Empire or the Dark Jedi would try to take advantage of the power trapped in the Valley and tried to keep its existence safe when his friend Morgan Katarn accidentally discovered its location.
Years after Jerec murdered Katarn, he and his minions learned of the existence of the Valley and captured Rahn, whom they executed after ripping from his mind the fact that Katarn had a map to Ruusan carved into the ceiling in his house. Traveling to Sulon, they took the map and began occupying Ruusan. There, Jerec basked in the power of the Valley, becoming almost godlike in his power.
However, his dominion of the Valley would not go uncontested. Rahn's spirit spoke to Kyle Katarn, Morgan's son, and instructed him in the Force. Katarn tracked down the map, only to have it destroyed before he could read it. He proceeded to hunt down 8t88, the droid that had deciphered the map, and retrieved the coordinates from his internal memory.
With the coordinates, Katarn and his partner Jan Ors made their way to Ruusan. After Jan was captured by Jerec's forces, Katarn fought his way through hordes of stormtroopers and defeated Jerec's remaining Dark Jedi minions until he finally confronted Jerec himself at the Valley's focus. There, he was able to cut off Jerec from the Valley's power and defeat him. Katarn freed the trapped spirits, finally fulfilling the Poem of Ages.
Desann discovers the location of the ValleyEdit
Right after Jan's "death" at the hands of Desann and Tavion Axmis, Katarn once again traveled to the Valley in order to make use of its residual Force energy to re-establish his lapsed connection with the Force. Unknown to him, he was tracked to Ruusan as part of Desann's plan. Desann moved in his forces and began using the Valley's power to boost that of mildly Force-sensitive recruits, creating the Reborn.
Fortunately, Katarn had revealed the location of the Valley to Luke Skywalker as a precautionary measure. Skywalker led Rogue Squadron to Ruusan and routed Desann's forces, driving him from the planet and cutting off his supply of Reborn warriors.
The planet also became a target of Tavion's Disciples of Ragnos. Tavion was using Ragnos's scepter to drain areas of the Force to resurrect Marka Ragnos. Kyle Katarn was assigned to investigate cult activity there.
Despite the fulfillment of the ancient prophecy by Katarn, Jerec's spirit, as well as that of the ancient Sith, continued to linger in the valley for thousands of years.
Behind the scenesEdit
The name "Valley of the Souls" was used interchangeable for the Valley of the Jedi on the LucasArts website for Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. The name was also used in Part 2 of The Dark Forces Saga.
- Star Wars: Jedi vs. Sith 6
- Darth Bane: Path of Destruction
- Darth Bane: Rule of Two
- Dark Forces: Rebel Agent / audio drama
- Dark Forces: Jedi Knight / audio drama
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (Mentioned only)
- "Lucasfilm's Latest"—Star Wars Insider 29 (Indirect mention only)
- "Game Room: Playing with the Dark Side"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 8
- "Building a Better Jedi: Justin Chin on Dark Forces II"—Star Wars Insider 31
- "Game Room: Game Knights"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 13
- Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast"—Star Wars Gamer 9 "
- Power of the Jedi Sourcebook
- The Dark Forces Saga
- "Ask the Master"—Star Wars Insider 85
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Jedi Academy Training Manual
- The Essential Atlas
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 27
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 30
- The Essential Reader's Companion
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Heroes and Legends (Card: Heroes and Legends) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Knowledge and Defense (Card: Moldy Crow)
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Knowledge and Defense (Card: Valley of the Jedi)