The Variable Geometry Self-Propelled Battle Droid, Mark I, also known as the Vulture-class starfighter or more simply as the vulture droid, was an unmanned model of droid starfighter utilized by the Trade Federation and later the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Constructed in the cathedral factories of Xi Char, their creation through precision manufacturing was considered an act of religious worship.
With the effectiveness of droid starfighters debated in strategic circles for generations, vulture droids were as such capable of extreme maneuvers that could crush even the sturdiest organic pilot, but lacked the resourcefulness and cunning that living pilots brought into combat. Nonetheless, a lack of life-support systems allowed more room for armaments and fuel, and the lack of an organic pilot removed any moral responsibility for its destruction.
Like the ground forces made up of battle droids, vulture droids were remote controlled by a control ship, but as time passed were able to operate with limited independence due to the installation of artificial intelligence. They were also known to be able to communicate with each other by chattering. While not in flight, vulture droids could transform into walking mode to patrol the surface or provide support during battles, and was specifically designed to fill both space and ground-based roles.
One variant of the vulture droid featured an ion weapon. One of this variant battled Ahsoka Tano and Padmé Amidala while they were flying N-1 starfighters during starfighter practice. The unit was destroyed.
The design of the vulture droid formed the basis for producing the hyena-class bomber, another type of automated droid starfighter used by the Separatist Alliance. Vulture droids were not considered as smart as tri-fighters and hyena bombers, and relied on speed and overwhelming numbers in combat scenarios.
Invasion of NabooEdit
In 32 BBY, vulture droids were deployed with the rest of the droid forces by the Trade Federation to seize Naboo. During the space battle over the planet, vulture droids were controlled by a Droid Control Ship, made out of a modified Lucrehulk-class LH-3210 cargo freighter, and engaged Bravo Flight's N-1 starfighters. All of the droid starfighters were deactivated when Anakin Skywalker destroyed their control ship, the Saak'ak.
During the Clone Wars, many vulture droids were painted with the blue and white hexagonal markings that symbolized the Separatist Alliance. They fought in numerous battles such as the Battle of Coruscant.
In 22 BBY, vulture droids participated in the Battle of Christophsis, which ended in defeat for the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Jedi General Anakin Skywalker destroyed Admiral Trench's flagship Invincible with the stealth ship, ending the Separatist blockade of the system. Clone Captain CT-7567 "Rex" and Clone Commander CC-2224 "Cody" apprehended Clone Sergeant Slick, ending the traitorous clone's collusion with the Separatists. Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi captured General Whorm Loathsom, ending the Confederate occupation.
Vulture droids participated in the Battle of Teth, a crushing blow for the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Despite fierce Confederate resistance, Skywalker rescued Rotta the Hutt and delivered him to Jabba's palace on Tatooine.
The droids continued to see action throughout the rest of the conflict. From large scale battles such as at Ryloth and Umbara, to smaller skirmishes such as over Felucia after the destruction of the Felucia medical station. 
The droids were involved in the Battle of Coruscant, the last major CIS offense of the Clone Wars, and at the Battle of Utapau, where General Grievous was killed. After the murder of the Separatist Council, all Confederate droids were shut down, including the vulture droids.
Past the Clone WarsEdit
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Set: 75073 Vulture Droid)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Variable Geometry Self-Propelled Battle Droid, Mark I and Vulture-class starfighter)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- ; image #20 (of 20)
- ; image #4 (of 12)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ Lords of the Sith
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Poe Dameron 22: Legend Found, Part III
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars: Forces of Destiny – "The Starfighter Stunt"
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bounty Hunters"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cat and Mouse"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Hidden Enemy"
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Storm Over Ryloth"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Plan of Dissent"