The Venator-class Star Destroyer, also known as a Republic attack cruiser or Jedi Cruiser, was a dagger-shaped capital ship used by the Galactic Republic for ship-to-ship combat against the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars. Having eclipsed the Republic's diplomatic frigate, the attack cruiser faced the Separatist dreadnoughts in some of the most well-known battles of the Clone Wars, including those of Sullust, Christophsis and Coruscant.
The Venator-classes used early in the Clone War featured a wide array of hangar space. The forward section of the Star Destroyer featured a passage down the middle, with bays for starships on either side. It was mainly accessed by large doors on top of the ship. At the fore of this passage, at the bow the the ship, was a collection of hyperspace transport rings. Towards the aft of the passage, doors in the floor could open, leading to a space where Consular-class cruisers could dock. If no cruiser was docked, however, the space could be used by personnel to jump out of the Star Destroyer directly onto the battlefield, or to deploy walkers without the need for dropships. Overseeing the passage was a raised command station positioned at the aft. Even further aft, Venators had two independent docking bays on their port and starboard sides, again protected by blast doors.
Towards the end of the war, a different type of Venator was used. These featured much smaller doors on the dorsal side of the ship, and lacked access from the ventral side altogether, with the blast doors that previously lead to the main hangar space replaced with additional lighting, a crane and sometimes additional weaponry.
Venator-class Star Destroyers featured two bridges, with the starboard one serving as the primary command center of the ship. These bridges were raised from the main body of the destroyer and provided a wide, panoramic view of the battle. However, the bridges' exposed nature made them vulnerable to attack. The bridges featured large windows at the front, with two sunken pits behind, with a raised command walkway in between. This design would become a staple in Imperial vessels, as it gave emphasis to the command hierarchy. Further behind, a holotable sat between two sets of blast doors. This could be used to communicate with other personnel and analyze ship or troop movements.
Venators usually required specialised landing strips to perform atmospheric landings, such as those on Coruscant, with Acclamator-class assault ships performing surface landings on the battlefield due to their legs. However, surface landings could occur, as exemplified during the Battle of Kashyyyk.
The Clone WarsEdit
The design of the Republic attack cruiser ultimately evolved into the similarly wedge-shaped Imperial Star Destroyer, the signature battleship of the Galactic Empire. As of the Campaign at Salient, during which Venator-class Star Destroyers reassigned from Telos deployed ARC-170 starfighters to assist Governor Wilhuff Tarkin and the Executrix, the vessel was considered an older-generation model. However, at least one Venator-class was stationed at the Anthan Prime Orbital Dockyard a few months after the Battle of Yavin.
- (as "Jedi cruiser")
- (as "Jedi Cruiser")
- (as "Jedi Cruiser")
- (First identified as Republic attack cruiser)
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- (as "Jedi cruiser")
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Tarkin
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 5.12 5.13 5.14 Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 7.6 7.7 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars (film)
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cargo of Doom"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Jedi Crash"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Gungan Attack"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Point of No Return"
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nightsisters"
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Storm Over Ryloth"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Innocents of Ryloth"
- ↑ Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- ↑ Darth Vader 9: Shadows and Secrets, Part III