The Vengeance-class was based on the standard Super Star Destroyer design, the Executor-class. As such, the ship class was approximately 19 kilometers long. In addition, because of its dimensions, the ship class sometimes possessed the standard classification of a space station
In contrast with the Executor-class, the Vengeance-class's frame was supplied with a slender build, more narrow than standard Star Destroyers, almost sword-like in comparison to the usual dagger shape.
The Vengeance-class's height contrasted its length, which was little more than 150 meters and with downward sloping armor dominating most of the dorsal frame. The ship class's bridge was extensive, but also covered much of the command tower, unlike most other KDY warship classes. It is known that it was one of the larger Super Star Destroyers of the Imperial era, and its length (exceeding 5,000 meters) put it firmly in the Star Dreadnought category.
Offensive and defensive systemsEdit
The Vengeance-class had a cluster of engines, consisting of three primary engines, two secondary engines flanking the vessel and six auxiliary engines clustering around the primary ones.
The Vengeance-class was unique in that it lacks the standard Kuat Drive Yards-style wedge shaped command bridge tower. Instead, the command bridge is located on a small square ridge near the stern of the ship. It shared this trait with the Praetor Mark II-class battlecruiser.
The flagship of the Dark Jedi and Imperial Inquisitor Jerec was a dreadnought of this class named the Vengeance. It was used from some time before the Battle of Endor to the time of his death in 5 ABY. Several Vengeance-class dreadnoughts were apparently utilized by the Byss Defense Fleet.
Three Vengeances anchored massive task forces sent from the Deep Core to reconquer the Core Worlds in 10 ABY. One of which, the Javelin, was destroyed during the subsequent Imperial Civil War when its captain steered it into a Torpedo Sphere that guarded Chasin.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Vengeance-class dreadnought first appeared in The Essential Guide to Warfare, alongside a ship within its class, the Javelin. Although artwork of it was never shown, the name of the ship class suggested a connection to Jerec's flagship of the same name. A post made by Paul Urquhart on the TEGTW forum for TheForce.Net revealed that the similarities and connections between the ship class and Jerec's ship was intentional.
- Star Wars Battlefront: Mobile Squadrons (Indirect mention only) (Retcon)
- Dark Forces: Rebel Agent (Retcon)
- Dark Forces: Jedi Knight (Retcon)
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (First appearance) (Retcon)
- Dark Empire (Retcon)
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Trilogy (Indirect mention only) (Retcon)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations (Indirect mention only) (Retcon)
- Starships of the Galaxy, Saga Edition (Retcon)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (Retcon)
- Retcon) (
- The Essential Guide to Warfare (First identified as Vengeance-class dreadnought)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Starships of the Galaxy, Saga Edition
- ↑ 3.0 3.1
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2
- ↑ Wizards of the Coast
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations, p. 171
- ↑ Dark Forces II: Rebel Agent
- ↑ Dark Empire