- "What do we have parked at R/M, Colonel?"
"Several CR-ninety corvettes, two Carrack-class light cruisers, a couple of Victories, and a Venator-class destroyer—the Liberator."
- ―Wilhuff Tarkin and an Imperial colonel
The Victory-class Star Destroyer was a type of Star Destroyer used by both the Galactic Republic's Navy and the Imperial Navy that could deploy a prefabricated garrison base. In 14 BBY, several Victories were utilized by the Imperial Military, including some based at Coruscant's Imperial Palace and Belderone's R/M Facility Four deepdock.
The Victory-class Star Destroyer originally saw use with the Galactic Republic's Navy. Sentinel Base, a lookout station that monitored supply shipments going to the Death Star battle station, was, before it was expanded, a prefabricated base deployed from a Republic military Victory-class.
Following the rise of the Empire in 19 BBY, the Victory-class was still used by the Imperial Military. In 14 BBY, the landing field of the Coruscant Imperial Palace could accommodate for Victory-class Star Destroyers to land. A group of stormtroopers commanded by Darth Vader transferred the Sith's meditation chamber from a Victory parked at the landing field to the corvette Carrion Spike, in preparation for Vader's mission to Murkhana with Moff Wilhuff Tarkin.
At Murkhana, the Carrion Spike was stolen by insurgents, who used it to attack Galidraan Station. Tarkin and Vader managed to pursue the group to Galidraan III, using the Sith Lord's meditation chamber to track the Carrion Spike, although the insurgents ejected the chamber at Galidraan once they realized what had happened, shortly before they fled the system. Tarkin then contacted an Imperial colonel, and asked what Imperial resources were in the area, as he suspected the insurgents would strike again. Along with several other facilities, the colonel reported of the Imperial Navy R/M Facility Four deepdock at Belderone, at which several Victory-classes were parked, along with several CR90 corvettes, two Carrack-class light cruisers and the Venator-class Star Destroyer Liberator. Tarkin decided to deploy the Liberator to Nam Chorios to defend its mining colony and prison from the Carrion Spike, as that seemed the most likely target in the vicinity, and R/M was too heavily fortified to be attacked. However, the insurgents ultimately chose to attack Lucazec next.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Victory-class Star Destroyer first appeared in the new Star Wars canon in the novel Tarkin, released in 2014. In the Star Wars Legends continuity, the Victory-class first appeared in the 1979 novel Han Solo's Revenge.
- Tarkin (First appearance, simultaneous with Tarkin audiobook)
- Tarkin audiobook (First appearance, simultaneous with Tarkin)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 Tarkin
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 The novel Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel establishes that Sentinel Base was first utilized by the Galactic Republic. Since Tarkin previously established that this base was originally deployed from a Victory-class, it can be determined that Victory-class Star Destroyers were used by the Republic Navy.
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ The introductory paragraph of Tarkin states that the events of the book take place five years after the rise of the Galactic Empire. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas states that this occurs in 19 BBY, the events of Tarkin must take place in 14 BBY.
- ↑ Han Solo's Revenge