Sharing a dagger-shaped hull, heavy armament, and relatively large crew compliment for its class, the Vigil-class shares many iconic design features of a true destroyer. The exception to this being the command deck, which sits flush with the hull to the aft over the main drive engines, giving the Vigil-class a smaller silhouette and better protection than a tall and exposed command tower.
For its primary armament, the Vigil-class is true to its destroyer origins, carrying a trio of turret mounted dual heavy turbolaser turrets on the dorsal hull that give it an exceedingly heavy punch for its class. Further supplementing its armament are a trio of lighter turbolaser turrets, along with smaller anti-starfighter laser cannons.
Thanks to their size and role, these ships rarely serve in the line of battle with larger types of star destroyers. Instead they patrol trade routes, escort cruisers as picket ships, serve as battlegroup leaders for small backwater fleets, operate as lone cruisers hunting pirates and smugglers, and generally serve where a larger destroyer would be deemed excessive or wasteful.
Several Vigil-class corvettes were serviced at Naval Station Validusia. The corvettes patrolled trade routes, acted as battle group leaders in small fleets, and hunted pirates alone. They were also used as scoutcraft.
Behind the scenesEdit
This design originated as a fanon vessel made by Ansel Hsiao. According to Hsiao, it was intended to be a heavy corvette for escort, reconnaissance, and utility duties of the Galactic Empire. When approached by Lucasfilm Licensing to provide artwork for The Essential Guide to Warfare, Hsiao submitted his own designs in addition to new models, along with their names. The names were recorded in LFL's Holocron continuity database, according to the artist.  Jason Fry, one of the authors of the book, forgot to record the statistics of the Vigil-class corvette in the endnotes section detailing the other ships Hsiao designed, and proceeded to post it on the eighth part of the endnotes on his tumblr account as a quick note at the end.
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Jason Fry's Tumblr account - EG to Warfare Endnotes Pt. 8. (First identified as Vigil-class corvette)
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion: Roleplaying Game BETA
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Jason Fry's Tumblr account - EG to Warfare Endnotes Pt. 8.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ http://fractalsponge.net/3D%20Projects.htm
- ↑ Art thread where Ansel Hsiao (Fractalsponge) mentions LFL putting the names in the Holocron.