A volcano was a mountain from which lava flowed out. It also produced large quantities of black smoke that could block out the sunlight. Volcanoes that erupted regularly were called active, while those temporarily devoid of external activity were referred to as dormant. The planet of Mustafar was covered in active volcanoes, while those of Kadavo were dormant for the most part. Sometimes, the lava of a volcano would cool rapidly, forming black volcanic glass or black sand.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Children of the Force"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Slaves of the Republic"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Escape from Kadavo"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Lords of the Sith (Mentioned only)
- Lost Stars
- Star Wars Rebels – "Fire Across the Galaxy"
- Star Wars: Darth Vader 1: Vader (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Battlefront
- Battlefront: Twilight Company
- Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
- Aftermath (Mentioned only)