Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Biology and appearanceEdit
Vratix were an insectoid species with large compound eyes, long thin necks, and six limbs sprouting from a cylindrical thorax. The pair closest to their heads,extending from their 'shoulders', were triple-jointed with tridactyl hands, and served as 'arms', but they also sported a hook-claw near the second articulation to assist in climbing. The second, middle pair, sprouting from above the abdomen, were massive, strong 'legs', allowing a Vratix to perform impressive leaps. The last pair, situated at the end of the abdomen, were vestigial, as they served only to prevent the abdomen dragging on the ground (Wedge Antilles once compared the third pair of legs of Qlaern Hirf to his X-Wing's landing gear.). Small thin hairs covered their bodies and changed color to express emotion. Vratix excreted denin, a chemical that altered the color of their skin to reflect their mood, and was connected to their speech patterns of clicks also known as Vratix. Despite this, they could communicate with other beings via Basic when regarding trade. They were also slightly telepathic, capable of sending thoughts with other Vratix that they related to.
Vratix were a logical and straightforward species that had trouble grasping abstract concepts like art and music. However, they could solve a complex problem by examining every detail and angle. Culture was centered around the hive mentality. They generally referred to themselves as the plural we rather than I, and usually under their hive name. It should also be noted that the Vratix are generally a sociable species; they prefer all information to be delivered personally.
The Vratix also kept Knytix, a smaller insectoid species, as pets and for the creation of dwellings (their saliva is used to make a mud-like paste that is then dried to make bricks). The Vratix also eat the Knytix on certain occasions, when the owner of the Knytix offers his pet to another Vratix as a sign of high respect.
Vratix used bacta for thousands of years, and were not hesitant to share their secret with the galaxy at large. During the Galactic Republic a thriving business evolved around the sale and distribution of bacta. They tolerated the relationship with the off-worlders who wished to exploit bacta, and preferred to work the kavam fields from their villages.
Feeling that they lost control of their destiny, the Vratix resistance group, the Ashern ("Black Claw", in the native language) was formed which in 32 BBY helped orchestrate a coup; revealing that Xucphra Corporation had sabotaged the supply to drive up prices of the Stark Hyperspace War, gave the Vratix governmental control and ushered freewheeling trade.
A famous Vratix was Yopaxtul, who won the "six-legged being" category at the Mobquet Presents: Fastest Land Beings event held on Teyr in 22 BBY. It won the 100-meter race in a record breaking 6.132 seconds.
In the Clone Wars, Xuphra and Zaltin again seized control of Thyferra and during the New Order, Palpatine eliminated all but those two bacta producers. These two cartels would be the Galactic Empire's bacta supply. During this time some Vratix resorted to terrorism to beat out competition in the bacta market.
During the Swarm War, the Vratix became Joiners to the Dark Nest Killiks and led a revolt against the Bacta Cartels on Thyferra, bringing production of the healing liquid to a halt and causing a major blow to the forces of the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Mentioned only)
- Cloak of Deception (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 36: The Stark Hyperspace War, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Empire at War (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Missions 2: Escape from Thyferra
- X-Wing: Rogue Squadron (First mentioned)
- X-Wing: The Krytos Trap (First appearance)
- X-Wing: The Bacta War
- "The Trouble with Squibs"—Star Wars Insider 67 (Mentioned only)
- Invasion: Refugees 5
- Emissary of the Void
- The New Jedi Order: Destiny's Way (Mentioned only)
- Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen (Mentioned only)
- Dark Nest III: The Swarm War
- "The Business of Bacta"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 3
- "Playing A Major Role"—Star Wars Galaxy Collector 1
- Alien Encounters
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Hoth Limited (Card: Bacta Tank)
- The Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- The Essential Guide to Alien Species
- The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons
- "Who's Who in Rogue Squadron"—Star Wars Insider 59
- Ultimate Alien Anthology
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption: Prima Official Game Guide
- The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- Star Wars Insider 64
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook