|Chronological and political information|
WED-15-I662, also known as Eye-Six-Six-Too, was a WED-15 Treadwell repair droid produced by the Cybot Galactica company. In 0 BBY, during the Galactic Civil War, I662 was aboard a Jawa sandcrawler, the owners of which later captured the Rebel droids C-3PO and R2-D2. Soon afterward, Imperial sandtroopers boarded the vehicle in search of the Rebel droids, but when the sandtroopers were unable to find them, they destroyed the sandcrawler.
WED-15-I662, also known as Eye-Six-Six-Too, was a WED-15 Treadwell repair droid produced by Cybot Galactica, one of the galaxy's two largest droid manufacturing companies, sometime before the Battle of Yavin. In 0 BBY, during the Galactic Civil War, I662 was aboard a Jawa sandcrawler operated by Chief Nebit's clan when the scavengers captured the Rebel protocol droid C-3PO and his counterpart, the astromech droid R2-D2. The next day, the sandcrawler stopped at the homestead of moisture farmer Owen Lars, where the Jawas wanted to sell some of their droids. During the auction, I662 was about to leave the droid prison of the crawler and join the other droids outside when a Jawa stopped him.
The Jawa's auction was successful, as both C-3PO and R2-D2 were sold to Lars. Soon afterward, Imperial sandtroopers boarded the sandcrawler in search of the stolen plans of the Death Star battlestation, which were stored in R2-D2. Trooper 1023 spotted I662 while he searched the droid bay for C-3PO and R2-D2. However, the sandtroopers were unable to find the plans, and the Imperials destroyed the sandcrawler.
WED-15-I662 was a standard class-five Treadwell, typical of the thousands of such droids tasked with maintenance and repair of heavy machinery and starfighters. I662 had a blue paint scheme and two rows of ten treaded wheels on its base. The droid had binocular fine-focus vision, which helped it spot circuitry damage. I662's black photoreceptors were mounted on a long, extensible neck strut, which also held its manipulator arms.
Behind the scenes
In 1975, production designer John Barry designed WED-15-I662's model for use in George Lucas's 1977 film, Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. The same droid model was also used for the droid WED-15-77 and for another Treadwell during the filming of the movie. Barry's sketch indicated that the model stood between four feet and four feet, six inches tall. Barry's notes showed that the prop had one functioning arm and housed a radio controller in its treadwell base to allow for off-screen crew members to control it. Scenes featuring the droid were shot on location in Tunisia in March 1976.
I662 first appeared in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, released on May 25, 1977. The droid went unnamed until 1995, when the base set of Decipher's Star Wars Customizable Card Game identified it as "WED15-I662." Later, in 2008, The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia added a second hyphen to the droid's designation, thus making it similar to the names of other Treadwell droids.
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope junior novelization
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars 1
- Star Wars Manga: A New Hope 1
- When the Desert Wind Turns: The Stormtrooper's Tale
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Premiere Limited (Card: WED15-I662 'Treadwell' Droid) (First identified as "WED15-I662" and "Eyesixsixtoo")
- Star Wars: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: Complete Cross-Sections
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III ("WED-15-I662") (First identified as "WED-15-I662" and "Eye-Six-Six-Too")
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 The New Essential Guide to Droids, p. XVIII and 188
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars: Complete Cross-Sections, p. 117
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III, p. 324 ("WED-15-I662")
- ↑ When the Desert Wind Turns: The Stormtrooper's Tale
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Film, p. 107 and 144
- ↑ Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Premiere Limited (Card: WED15-I662 'Treadwell' Droid)