|Wall of light|
Band of light
- "A wall of light, created by many Jedi joined together, can push the darksiders back."
- ―Arca Jeth
A wall of light was an immense manifestation of potentially destructive light side Force energy created by the focused power of a united Jedi front. When performed successfully, a wall of light allowed participants to effectively contain or purge the power of the dark side from a specific location, or sever an especially dangerous darksider from their Force connection. The ability was popular among Great Sith War–era members of the Jedi Order, who used it to great effect against the resurgent Dark Lords of Exar Kun's Sith Brotherhood, and later against the spirit of Kun, by the inaugural class of Luke Skywalker's Jedi Praxeum.
- "When you feel the dark side energies turned against you, you must use your Jedi abilities to take power away from an opponent, rather than to inflict harm. This technique blinds your enemy to the Force with a wall of light, a permanent blockage if you so choose, rendering him unable to use Jedi powers. It is difficult. And it is the most devastating attack possible using the powers of the light side."
- ―Odan-Urr, via the Tedryn Holocron
The use of the Force to create a wall of light side energy was a Jedi's most devastating offensive ability. The technique required the collective effort of several participants to form—with considerable difficulty—an all-encompassing prison of blue energy, from which the dark side could not escape. Celestial bodies besieged by a wall of light were sterilized utterly with flames and violent weather phenomena, while wielders of the dark side found themselves completely blocked from the Force.
- "We must create a wall of light…either to cleanse…or destroy."
- ―Nomi Sunrider
The primary purpose for the creation of a wall of light around a specific location was the quarantine or total eradication of the dark side's malevolent influence. Jedi Knights also used walls of light to harmlessly subdue or repel extremely dangerous enemies. Under dire circumstances, however, a lone Jedi was able to channel the light side of the Force to offensively incapacitate a foe, but use of such power often brought forth unexpected and potentially catastrophic results. The victim of a wall of light experienced extreme agony as their connection to the Force was interrupted in a severance that could be made permanent at the discretion of the Jedi. Walls of light were also an effective weapon against Sith spirits.
- "The way to extinguish a shadow, is to increase the light."
Draethos Jedi Knight Odan-Urr used a wall of light to disconnect Sith Lord Naga Sadow's defeated Sith warriors from the Force in the final stages of the Great Hyperspace War. He later recorded a detailed account of the ability in the Tedryn Holocron. More than a thousand years after the Hyperspace War, Odan-Urr taught a prodigious Jedi Knight named Nomi Sunrider to utilize walls of light in the harmless incapacitation of enemies. During the Jedi conclave on Deneba, Arkanian Jedi Master Arca Jeth inferred that a wall of light was required to drive away the Krath cult, whose holy crusade against the Republic had spread the influence of the dark side across the galaxy. When the Krath later attacked the planet Coruscant, their leader, fallen Jedi–turned–Sith Lord Ulic Qel-Droma, was defeated and trapped within a wall of light by Masters Vodo-Siosk Baas and Thon, who were assisted by Knights Tott Doneeta, Cay Qel-Droma, Nomi Sunrider, Dace Diath, and Sylvar.
Nomi Sunrider faced Qel-Droma again on Ossus and imprisoned him within a wall of light that inadvertently resulted in Qel-Droma's permanent severance from the Force. At the culmination of the Great Sith War, Sunrider guided thousands of Jedi, including Tott Doneeta, Sylvar, Oss Wilum, and Thon, in the creation of a wall of light over the Yavin moon to defeat Dark Lord of the Sith Exar Kun. Although his spirit had been successfully trapped within the walls of his Massassi temple, a planet-wide firestorm caused by the Jedi's magnified power annihilated Yavin 4's landscape in the process. More than four thousand years later, Kun's ghost was forever cleansed from Yavin 4 through the creation of a wall of light initiated by the trainees of Master Luke Skywalker's Jedi Praxeum.
Behind the scenes
Wall of light was a Force power first mentioned in Tom Veitch and Kevin J. Anderson's Descent to the Dark Side, the third issue in the Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith comic book story arc. It was also mentioned in John Whitman's Dark Lords of the Sith audio rendition. Wall of light's first appearance was in The Battle of Coruscant, the second issue of Tales of the Jedi's subsequent Sith War story arc. It was also featured as the means by which the Jedi and Republic defeated Exar Kun in The Sith War's final issue, titled Dark Lord, and the instrument of Kun's defeat yet again in the third novel in the Jedi Academy Trilogy, Champions of the Force. Wall of light received its own card with the September 2009 release of The Shadow Syndicate, the fourth expansion set of the Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game. A similar illustration was later implemented in Timeline 10: The Exar Kun War, the tenth in a series of in-universe holorecordings made by Kel Dor Jedi archivist Gnost-Dural.
While The Sith War 6: Dark Lord depicts the destruction of Yavin 4's landscape as the result of the Jedi's creation of a wall of light, The Essential Atlas states incorrectly on pages 112 and 131 that the moon's surface was destroyed by orbital bombardment.
- Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith audio drama (Mentioned only)
- Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith 3: Descent to the Dark Side (First mentioned)
- Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 1: Edge of the Whirlwind (Mentioned only)
- Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 2: The Battle of Coruscant (First appearance)
- Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 5: Brother Against Brother
- Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 6: Dark Lord
- Timeline 10: The Exar Kun War (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan (Codex entry)
- Dark Apprentice (Indirect mention only)
- Champions of the Force (Indirect mention only)
- The Essential Guide to Characters
- The Jedi Academy Sourcebook
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Chronology
- The Dark Side Sourcebook
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- Power of the Jedi Sourcebook
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 119 (WAR6, The Sith War)
- Star Wars: The Comics Companion
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Jedi Academy Training Manual
- The Essential Atlas
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 Champions of the Force
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith audio drama
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 2: The Battle of Coruscant
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 1: Edge of the Whirlwind
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 5.7 Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 6: Dark Lord
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 5: Brother Against Brother
- ↑ Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith 2: The Quest for the Sith
- ↑ The Essential Atlas
- ↑ The Essential Chronology
- ↑ In the scene of Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 6: Dark Lord that depicts the implementation of wall of light, the narration states that "thousands upon thousands of Force wielders" participated.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic