Warwick Ashley Davis (born February 3, 1970, Epsom, Surrey, England, UK) is an actor noted for being short—he is three feet six inches (about one meter) tall. He is probably best known as the title character in Willow, Professor Flitwick and Griphook in the Harry Potter films, and a murderous leprechaun in the long-running series of horror films of the same name. Warwick Davis also played the body of Marvin the Paranoid Android in the 2005 film version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Other notable roles include his first film role as Wicket the Ewok, who was befriended by Princess Leia in Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi. He also made a movie of his own about Wicket, a mockumentary made with help from Return of the Jedi's first assistant director, David Tomblin. The unreleased film was a fictional look at his decision to become an actor and act in the film and his transformation into an Ewok. He continued the role as Wicket in the made-for-TV movies Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure and Ewoks: The Battle for Endor. He had four brief uncredited appearances in The Phantom Menace—one as W. Wald, the young Rodian friend of Anakin Skywalker; the other as Weazel, one of the gamblers at the podrace. Davis also had a cameo as a "Tatooine street trader", and doubled Yoda in some of his "walking" scenes in Episode I (although Yoda still was voiced by Frank Oz).
In addition to his acting career, Davis is the co-founder of the talent agency Willow Management, founded in 1995. It specializes in representing actors under five feet tall. In 2004, his agency also began representing actors over seven feet tall. Several of the actors in his agency had performed in Star Wars films, such as Kenny Baker (R2-D2), Mike Edmonds (Logray and co-puppetteer for Jabba the Hutt), Michaela Cottrell (Even Piell), Sarah Bennett, Danny Blackner, Peter Burroughs (who is also Davis's father-in-law), Paul Grant, Andrew Herd, Trevor Jones, Nicholas Read, Kiran Shah, Brian Wheeler (Unidentified Ewoks) and, although uncredited in the movies, Rusty Goffe (Kabe, Gonk droid and a Jawa in A New Hope) and Raymond Griffiths (Gonk droid in The Phantom Menace).
Work in Star WarsEdit
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (Wicket)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (Wald, Weazel)
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (Wollivan)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Weeteef Cyu-Bee)
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars Rebels (Rukh)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Bantha Tracks 23
- The Lucasfilm Fan Club Magazine 4
- The Lucasfilm Fan Club Magazine 5
- "Wicket Unleashed"—Star Wars Insider 31
- "When Artoo Met Wicket"—Star Wars Insider 39
- "Return of the Ewok"—Star Wars Insider 46
- "Return to Endor"—Star Wars Insider 62
- "Beyond the Valley of the Ewoks"—Star Wars Insider 67
- "Launch Pad"—Star Wars Insider 154