- "Mind tricks don't work on me, only money."
Watto was a male Toydarian junk dealer/human trafficker, who owned a shop in Mos Espa, Tatooine. He was the owner of Shmi Skywalker Lars as well as her son, Anakin Skywalker, the young boy who would grow up to become both a revered Jedi Knight and a feared Sith Lord known as Darth Vader.
Watto started his life as a soldier on Toydaria. However, he left Toydaria after he suffered an injury. He then went to Tatooine, where he watched Jawas sell used goods and decided to start his own business.
Watto then became a junk dealer living in Mos Espa, Tatooine. Owner of a small shop, Watto won two slaves, Shmi and her son, Anakin, from Gardulla the Hutt in a bet. Watto was an inveterate gambler, and when he discovered Anakin's natural podracing abilities, he sponsored the boy in several Podraces. Despite this, Watto often bet against Anakin, who was talented but lacked experience. Watto eventually lost Anakin to Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn in a wager on the Boonta Eve race.
Once Anakin returned to Tatooine, Watto asked him if he could help with some "deadbeats who owe me a lot of money." After being asked about Shmi, Watto tried to help Anakin find his mother, giving him all of the information he knew about Shmi's new life and location.
Personality and traitsEdit
- «Outlanders. They think we know nothing.»
Watto was proud of his business and distrusting of Republic credits, which he felt weren't "real" enough for the tough economy of an Outer Rim Territory planet like Tatooine. When Qui-Gon Jinn attempted a mind trick on him in order to get him to accept 20,000 credits in exchange for a T-14 hyperdrive generator, he shrugged it off, telling Jinn that as a Toydarian, mind tricks didn't work on him, "only money." Watto was a heavy gambler, and later lost the hyperdrive and Anakin in a bet he had wagered against the Jedi.
Behind the SceneEdit
Watto portrayed by voice actor Andrew Secombe.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- "Time of Death"—From a Certain Point of View (Mentioned only)
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side! (Mentioned only)
- William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Mission to Mos Eisley" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Gambit on Geonosis" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens (DLC)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Backstories: Star Wars – Darth Vader: Sith Lord
Notes and referencesEdit
- Watto on Wikipedia