- "Mind tricks don't work on me, only money."
Watto was a male Toydarian junk dealer/human trafficker, who owned a shop in Mos Espa, Tatooine. He was the owner of Shmi Skywalker as well as her son, Anakin Skywalker, the young boy who would grow up to become both a revered Jedi Knight and a feared Sith Lord known as Darth Vader.
Watto started his life as a soldier on Toydaria. However, he left Toydaria after he suffered an injury. He then went to Tatooine, where he watched Jawas sell used goods and decided to start his own business.
Watto then became a junk dealer living in Mos Espa, Tatooine. Owner of a small shop, Watto won two slaves, Shmi and her son, Anakin, from Gardulla the Hutt in a bet. Watto was an inveterate gambler, and when he discovered Anakin's natural podracing abilities, he sponsored the boy in several Podraces. Despite this, Watto often bet against Anakin, who was talented but lacked experience. In 32 BBY a man named Qui-Gon Jinn showed up to his store looking for parts for his ship. Qui-Gon didn't have enough money, so the next day Qui-Gon confronted Watto and told him that he wanted to enter Anakin in the Boonta Eve Podrace in exchange for parts for his ship. Watto agreed and entered Anakin but Watto betted on Sebulba. Qui-Gon place a bet for Anakin’s freedom, and when Anakin won he left with Qui-Gon to become a Jedi.
Once Anakin returned to Tatooine, Watto asked him if he could help with some "deadbeats who owe me a lot of money." After being asked about Shmi, Watto tried to help Anakin find his mother, giving him all of the information he knew about Shmi's new life and location.
Age of the EmpireEdit
During his exile on Tatooine, Obi-Wan Kenobi purchased a humidifier from Watto at an inflated price. After Kenobi was killed by Darth Vader on the Death Star, but before he became a Force spirit, Kenobi found himself in a vision of his hut on Tatoonie. He noted that the humidifier was not in the vision, among other recent additions that were missing. He then realized the vision was of an earlier time in his hut, from around three years into his exile.
Personality and traitsEdit
- «Outlanders. They think we know nothing.»
Watto was proud of his business and distrusting of Republic credits, which he felt weren't "real" enough for the tough economy of an Outer Rim Territory planet like Tatooine. When Qui-Gon Jinn attempted a mind trick on him in order to get him to accept 20,000 credits in exchange for a T-14 hyperdrive generator, he shrugged it off, telling Jinn that as a Toydarian, mind tricks didn't work on him, "only money." Watto was a heavy gambler, and later lost the hyperdrive and Anakin in a bet he had wagered against the Jedi.
Behind the scenesEdit
Watto portrayed by voice actor Andrew Secombe.
- "Tales from Wild Space: Podracer's Rescue"—Star Wars Adventures 6
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- "Time of Death"—From a Certain Point of View (Mentioned only)
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side! (Mentioned only)
- William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Mission to Mos Eisley" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Gambit on Geonosis" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens (DLC)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Darth Vader: Sith Lord
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Alien Archive - Species Guide
Notes and referencesEdit
- Watto on Wikipedia