- "The Force is strong in him. Not so strong as in young Skywalker, but in the next level down: and between you and me, he carries it better than Anakin ever has."
- ―Maks Leem
From a very young age, it was clear that the graceful, controlled Whie was strong with the Force. The Gran Jedi Master Maks Leem took him on as her Padawan learner. One of Whie's gifts was the ability to see the future in his dreams and meditations; premonitions. At first, this frightened him, but he learned to live with it by taking to heart that the future was always in motion; nothing was set.
His homeworld, Vjun, was a barren world where poison rain fell from the sky. Whie's family was one of the wealthiest on the planet, and lived in a castle: the Château Malreaux. The better families on Vjun traditionally had very high midi-chlorian counts, which was a mark of status among them. After a trade route was set up with the Galactic Republic, the Jedi became involved, wanting to take away the Force-sensitive babies for Jedi training.
Whie's father, the Viscount, was extremely interested in the midi-chlorian phenomenon, and tried to genetically enhance natural midi-chlorians in Vjun's population. The experiment was only a partial success; the people went mad and started killing each other. Whie's mother Whirry, half drunk and crazy, gave him away to a passing Jedi.
Mission to VjunEdit
- "I learned that I will die under a Jedi's hand. So I'm afraid you're out of luck."
- ―Whie Malreaux to Asajj Ventress
Near the end of the Clone Wars, Count Dooku had taken over Château Malreaux and made it into his hiding place, where he set up a trap for the Order's most powerful Jedi Master, Yoda. The Jedi Master selected a small group of Jedi to come along with him to Vjun. Whie was among them, as was his Master Maks Leem, fellow Padawan Scout, and her Master Jai Maruk. During the mission, Whie dreamed his own death in a vision.
While Yoda confronted Count Dooku, Scout and Whie ran into Asajj Ventress. Both Padawans were captured and Scout was held by a Force-grip. Ventress, sensing Whie's feelings for Scout, tried to tempt Whie to the dark side by telling him to kiss Scout. Holding the life of Scout in her hand, she forced him to choose. Whie was in doubt, but Scout managed to say that he would make the right choice, upon which he did.
Yoda was able to escape from Dooku's trap, and Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi came to the rescue. Ventress stole a shuttle and escaped. The Jedi returned to Coruscant together, but Whie couldn't tell if he would ever feel at home again in the Jedi Temple. Yoda told him that he would always be home if he could feel the Force around him.
Whie was one of the Padawans in the Jedi Temple during the execution of Order 66. He was sparring with Bene when Darth Vader entered the Room of a Thousand Fountains in the Temple. Whie did not survive his encounter with the newly-named Sith Lord as he charged and was cut across the chest just as he had seen in one of his dreams. (Ironically, upon first meeting Anakin, he had, in a fit of hysteria, hugged him and exclaimed: "I'm so glad you're not coming to kill me!") Cin Drallig and Bene were soon to follow as victims of Vader.
Behind the scenesEdit
Whie was portrayed by Coinneach Alexander in Revenge of the Sith.[source?] Coinneach's father, Peter Alexander, the sensei (teacher) of Byron Bay Kendo Club, appeared with his students as Jedi in the First Battle of Geonosis arena scene in Attack of the Clones.
Though Whie's first appearance was in Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, he was originally created for Revenge of the Sith, and used by author Sean Stewart when LucasBooks suggested he use a movie character in that role.
- Yoda: Dark Rendezvous (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Battle for the Republic
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith novel (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (Appears in hologram)
- Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen (Mentioned only) (Appears in hologram)
- Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars
- The New Essential Chronology
- "Order 66: Destroy All Jedi"—Star Wars Insider 87
- The New Essential Guide to Droids
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Reader's Companion
- "Rogues Gallery: The Last Stand of the Jedi!"—Star Wars Insider 137