- "Watch out! Wisties!"
- ―An Imperial stormtrooper
Wisties, also known as firesprites or firefolk, were a small, radiant, flying species native to the Forest Moon of Endor. Like the Ewoks, with whom they shared their homeworld, Wisties were fierce defenders of their forests, and the two species were allies. Ewoks sometimes used pouches full of Wisties as a weapon against intruders, such as Imperial stormtroopers. They threw the pouches in the direction of a target; on impact, the sprites emerged and attacked the invaders.
Biology and appearanceEdit
- "Firefolk! Get away from them!"
- ―An Imperial stormtrooper, under attack by Wisties emerged from an Ewok's pouch
Wisties, also referred as firesprites or firefolk, were a tiny, orange-skinned species native to the Forest Moon of Endor. They possessed a head, torso, two legs, and two arms, with the latter ending in three-fingered hands. The bioluminescent firesprites appeared as moving flames. Their wings enabled them to fly, which they did while making buzzing, squeaking sounds.
- "Firesprites incoming!"
- ―An Imperial stormtrooper being burned by Wisties
- «Gah! Get away, will you! Shoo. Shoo.»
«What are you doing, Chirpa? Stop fooling around.»
«It's these stupid Wisties. Makrit should do something about them.»
- ―Chirpa and Ra-Lee, in Ewokese[src]
Sometime before the Galactic Civil War between the Galactic Empire and the Rebel Alliance, the Ewoks Chirpa and Ra-Lee went hunting boar-wolves in the Endor forests. During the hunt, Chirpa was annoyed by a pair of Wisties flying around him. Viewing them as a nuisance, he shooed the Wisties away and stated that Makrit, shaman of their Ewok tribe, should do something about the creatures.
When the Forest Moon was later occupied by the Empire during the Battle of Endor, Wisties and Ewoks joined forces to defend their shared homeworld against Imperial stormtroopers. In battle, Ewoks sometimes used pouches full of Wisties as a weapon, throwing them in the direction of a target. Upon impact, the sprites emerged as swarms, both disrupting and burning the target.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "I wanted the Ewoks to have a ranged, non-lethal way to damage and disperse a group of enemies. I asked Lucasfilm if we could have something made by the shaman, like a pouch of herbs or powder. [Lucasfilm's suggestion to include Wisties instead] was a perfect fit, so a lot of credit to the team at Lucasfilm for solving that gameplay need."
- ―Manuel Llanes, game design director at EA DICE
The Wisties originated in the 1984 made-for-TV movie Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure, which is now considered a part of the Star Wars Legends continuity. They were reintroduced into the Star Wars canon in Star Wars Battlefront II's "Ewok Hunt" game mode, released on April 18, 2018.
The suggestion to include the creatures to the video game came from Lucasfilm in order to solve the gameplay need for Ewok abilities, which was originally considered to be a pouch of herbs or powder made by the shaman. The game mode depicts stormtroopers being hunted by Ewoks in the Endor forests on the night after the Battle of Endor, trying to survive until their extraction by an Imperial shuttle. Additionally, an in-game timed challenge that requires throwing fifteen Wistie pouches as an Ewok is called "Thleek siz," which means "Throw fire" in Ewokese, according to the Legends reference book Galactic Phrase Book & Travel Guide.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (DLC) (First appearance)
- Tales from Vader's Castle 4: Night of the Gorax (Appears in flashback(s))
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Tales from Vader's Castle 4: Night of the Gorax
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ Tales from Vader's Castle 4: Night of the Gorax that take place on the Forest Moon of Endor occur prior to the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, which depicts the beginning of the Galactic Civil War. states that the events of
- ↑ Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure
- ↑ Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II Night on Endor Update. Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II - Star Wars - Official EA Site. Electronic Arts. Archived from the original on September 22, 2018. Retrieved on October 15, 2018.
- ↑ How a Painful Encounter with a Stack of Books Inspired Ewok Hunt. Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II - Star Wars - Official EA Site. Electronic Arts. Archived from the original on September 22, 2018. Retrieved on October 15, 2018.
- ↑ Galactic Phrase Book & Travel Guide