- "Let him have it. It's not wise to upset a Wookiee."
"But sir, nobody worries about upsetting a droid."
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, Artoo. Let the Wookiee win."
- ―Han Solo, and C-3PO
The Wookiees were a species of tall, hairy humanoids that were native to the planet Kashyyyk. The most notable member of this species was the warrior Chewbacca, Han Solo's best friend and co-pilot, who played a vital role in the Galactic Civil War by aiding the Rebel Alliance in their fight against the Galactic Empire, as well as the First Order–Resistance conflict where he fought against the First Order. They were quite strong, and were known to rip people's arms out of their sockets when provoked. Though being from a temperate planet better known for its swamps and forests, their coat of hair allowed them to be comfortable on icy worlds such as Ilum, Hoth, and Starkiller Base.
Biology and appearanceEdit
Wookiees were a tall species of furry giants from the planet Kashyyyk, who could grow to a height of two meters. Despite their fearsome appearance and volatile temperament, Wookiees were regarded as intelligent, sophisticated, loyal and trusting. When angered, Wookiees were known to descend into a berserker rage. Wookiees had a long lifespan, appearing not to age over a span of fifty years. One Wookiee, Lohgarra, lived healthily for centuries—the only distinction being her white fur. They could learn to understand other languages, like Basic, but they were physically unable to speak them. To those who had not learned to understand Shyriiwook, the Wookiee language, it appeared they spoke in a series of growls and purrs. Although rare, it was possible for Wookiees to be born Force-sensitive, like the Jedi Youngling, Gungi.
Wookiees originated on the Mid Rim forest planet of Kashyyyk. During the Clone Wars, the Wookiees fought alongside the Galactic Republic in several star systems. Towards the end of the conflict, Wookiee forces also defended their homeworld from a Separatist invasion with the help of Galactic Republic forces led by Jedi Master Yoda. Following the establishment of the Galactic Empire, the Wookiee homeworld of Kashyyyk was blockaded by the Empire. Many Wookiees were forced into slavery due to their strength, sent to be worked to death in the dangerous spice mines of the planet Kessel, or on construction sites such as the Death Star, though a number escaped this fate.
About fourteen years after the establishment of the Empire, the 212th Attack Battalion led by General Kahdah quelled a Wookiee revolt on Kashyyyk. Civilian travel to the planet was restricted and access was granted only for official government business. Shortly later, the Empire transported several captives including Wullffwarro and his son Kitwarr to the spice mines of Kessel. The Spectres, a rebel cell based on the Outer Rim world of Lothal, rescued the prisoners and escaped Kessel.
During the Galactic Civil War, several Wookiees including Chewbacca and Lohgarra fought for the Alliance to Restore the Republic and its successor government, the New Republic. In the months following the Battle of Endor, the Wookiee homeworld was liberated by the New Republic forces. The Wookiees also rose up against the Imperial occupiers, killing many.
Society and cultureEdit
Most Wookiees carried bowcasters as weaponry, which were handcrafted. The Wookiee people by and large hated Trandoshans, who were renowned as great hunters. The highest way a Wookiee could compliment someone was to groom them. In Wookiee society, loyalty and courage were valued as sacrosanct tenets.
Wookiees in the GalaxyEdit
- "A Wookiee! Rare you are to the Jedi. Proud, your people must be."
- ―Professor Huyang to Gungi
Some notable Wookiees included Chewbacca, the navigator and long-time companion of Han Solo. Other noteworthy Wookiees including the chief and general Tarfful (who worked alongside Master Yoda during the Battle of Kashyyyk), the warrior Wullffwarro, and his son Kitwarr. One known Force-sensitive Wookiee was the Jedi Youngling Gungi, who lived during the Clone Wars. During the Age of the Empire, Black Krrsantan was a Wookiee who worked as a bounty hunter for both Jabba the Hutt and Darth Vader. While serving as a Senator in the New Republic's Galactic Senate, Leia Organa once saw two Wookiee commuters in front of her on an automated sidewalk at the New Republic senatorial complex on Hosnian Prime.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Disney Infinity 3.0
- Epic Yarns: A New Hope
- Epic Yarns: The Empire Strikes Back
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Peril on Kashyyyk"
- Epic Yarns: Return of the Jedi
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Mission to Mos Eisley"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Flight of the Falcon"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Gambit on Geonosis"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ The Rebellion Begins
- ↑ Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Star Wars: Darth Vader 1: Vader
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Lost Stars
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Gathering"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Star Wars: Uprising
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 9.5 Aftermath
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 12.3 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ (Slide 1)
- ↑ 14.0 14.1
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens teaser
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Test of Strength"
- ↑ HoloNet News Report: Wookiee Revolt Quelled on Kashyyyk
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Spark of Rebellion"
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ Bloodline
- ↑ Origin of the word "Wookiee". Star Wars (June 21, 2016). Retrieved on June 21, 2016.
- Wookiee on Wikipedia