|X-Wing Miniatures Game|
X-Wing Miniatures Game
The X-Wing Miniatures Game—also called Star Wars: X-wing, with the first installment referred to as the Core Set—is a tactical ship-to-ship combat game released by Fantasy Flight Games. Players are able to control starships, such as Rebel X-wings and Imperial TIE fighters, and pit them against each other in fast-paced space combat. The game features detailed and painted miniatures and recreates Star Wars space combat in several scenarios included in the release. Players are able to select their crew and plan their maneuvers before play in order to develop strategies to complete their missions. Initially announced with an early 2012 release date, the Core Set and the first wave of expansion packs premiered at the Gen Con gaming convention on August 17, 2012.
X-Wing is a tactical ship-to-ship combat game in which players take control of powerful Rebel X-wings and nimble Imperial TIE fighters, facing them against each other in fast-paced space combat. Featuring stunningly detailed and painted miniatures, X-Wing recreates exciting Star Wars space combat throughout its several included scenarios. Select your crew, plan your maneuvers, and complete your mission!
Each type of ship in X-Wing has a unique piloting dial. Players select a speed and maneuver each turn, concealing their choices from other players. beginning with the lowest skilled pilot, each player reveals what they secretly set on the dial to the other players and executes the maneuver. Official play involves one the provided scenarios, a range of customization options, varied maneuvers, and possible combat outcomes. Some aspects of play are determined through random generation, with a roll of dice and by drawing cards from a shuffled deck.
The Core Set a starter set that features three unique missions, each with its own special rules and conditions for victory, cards, and fully assembled and painted starships.
- Rebel Pilot cards
- Imperial Pilot cards
- Upgrade cards:
Fantasy Flight Games has released several Expansion Packs adding new Pilot Cards and Upgrade Cards for existing ships as well as entirely new ships. All require the Core Set in order to be played.
The first four Expansion Packs were released at GenCon 2012 at the same time as the Core Set.
- X-Wing: X-Wing Expansion Pack—contains one pre-painted, highly detailed X-wing miniature, cards, tokens, dial, and four skilled pilots, including Wedge Antilles.
- X-Wing: TIE Fighter Expansion Pack—contains one pre-painted, highly detailed TIE fighter miniature, cards, tokens, dial, and six pilots, including "Backstabber."
- X-Wing: Y-Wing Expansion Pack—contains one pre-painted, highly detailed Y-wing miniature, cards, tokens, dial, and four pilots, including Horton Salm.
- X-Wing: TIE Advanced Expansion Pack—contains one pre-painted, highly detailed TIE Advanced miniature, cards, tokens, dial, and four pilots, including Darth Vader.
The second four Expansion Packs were officially released on February 28, 2013, but participants and organizers of the Kessel Run Preview Event could receive them in December 2012.
- X-Wing: Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack—contains one pre-painted, highly detailed Millennium Falcon miniature, cards, tokens, dial, and four skilled pilots, including Han Solo, Chewbacca, and Lando Calrissian.
- X-Wing: Slave I Expansion Pack—contains one pre-painted, highly detailed Slave I miniature, cards, tokens, dial, and four skilled pilots, including Boba Fett.
- X-Wing: A-Wing Expansion Pack—contains one pre-painted, highly detailed A-wing miniature, cards, tokens, dial, and four skilled pilots.
- X-Wing: TIE Interceptor Expansion Pack—contains one pre-painted, highly detailed TIE interceptor miniature, cards, tokens, dial, and four skilled pilots, including Soontir Fel.
The third four Expansion Packs are to be released in the third quarter of 2013.
- X-Wing: HWK-290 Expansion Pack—contains one pre-painted, highly detailed HWK-290 miniature, cards, tokens, dial, and four pilots, including Kyle Katarn.
- X-Wing: Lambda-class Shuttle Expansion Pack—contains one pre-painted, highly detailed Lambda-class Shuttle miniature, cards, system upgrades, tokens, dial, and four pilots, including Captain Kagi.
- X-Wing: B-Wing Expansion Pack—contains one pre-painted, highly detailed B-wing miniature, cards, system upgrades, tokens, dial, and four pilots.
- X-Wing: TIE Bomber Expansion Pack—contains one pre-painted, highly detailed TIE bomber miniature, cards, tokens, dial, and four pilots.
Fantasy Flight Games has also released various accessories to enhance game play in the Star Wars Miniatures game.
Physical and virtual dice packs were release for distribution to provide additional dice for use in the game. This accessory includes an additional set of six custom eight-sided dice, three red attack dice and three green defense dice, allowing both players to have a full set of dice each instead of sharing the dice from the Core Set..
A virtual comprehensive application of the Dice Pack for iOS and Android devices was developed and distributed in app stores specifically allowing players to select and roll custom dice in the X-Wing™ Miniatures Game, the Star Wars Roleplaying Game, and in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, but even includes an assortment of seven types of polyhedral dice for all other gaming needs. Features of the app include an option to allow players to save their most commonly used configurations as "presets," eight iconic backgrounds and six distinct sound packs from the Star Wars universe, and an intuitive radial menu and interactive help guide..
Starfield Game Tile KitEdit
A vivid backdrop for use as a playing surface for X-Wing games, the Starfield Game Tile Kit allows players to build custom environments using any combination of twelve one-square-foot double-sided matte-finished card stock tiles mounted on 2.5mm fiber board for durability. Tiles display several vivid Star Wars–themed images—including starfield, Alderaan, asteroid field, and Death Star tiles—that can by combined together in many different configurations to produce a wide array of Star Wars-themed scenes. The kit includes rules to allow players to go beyond cooperation in pre-game construction and provide the added element of competitively setting up the battlefield.
Behind the scenesEdit
Although the game itself is spelled "X-Wing" (with an upper-case W), all references to the in-universe ship are spelled "X-wing" (with a lower-case W), as it is spelled in other media.
In order to make the ship models correctly proportioned and detailed, Lucasfilm provided Fantasy Flight Games with exact dimensional data and access to information about the models from the original trilogy.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Launch Your Attack Run—X-Wing (TM) Launches into Action with Organized Play
- ↑ "I Have You Now…—Announcing X-Wing, a tactical miniatures game in the Star Wars universe"
- ↑ "Use The Force—Announcing upcoming titles set in the Star Wars (TM) universe"
- ↑ "Accelerate to Attack Speed — An update regarding the X-Wing Miniatures Game"
- ↑ The X-Wing (TM): Dice Pack Is Now Available—Speed Up Your Games with Additional Dice
- ↑ Make the Jump to Hyperspace—Announcing the STAR WARS(TM) Dice App for your iOS and Android Device
- ↑  Bolder Battlefields—Announcing the X-Wing (TM) Starfield Game Tile Kit]
- ↑ The Making of X-Wing (TM)—Peek Behind the Curtain with X-Wing Production Notes