The X-Wing Miniatures Game—also called Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures or Star Wars: X-wing, with the first installment referred to as the X-Wing: Core Set—is a tactical ship-to-ship combat game released by Fantasy Flight Games. Two players—or two teams of players—are able to control starships, such as Rebel X-wings and Imperial TIE fighters, and pit them against each other in fast-paced space combat. The game features detailed and painted miniatures and recreates Star Wars space combat in several scenarios included in the release. Players are able to select their crew and plan their maneuvers before play in order to develop strategies to complete their missions. Initially announced with an early 2012 release date, the Core Set and the first wave of expansion packs premiered at the Gen Con gaming convention on August 17, 2012.
X-Wing is a tactical ship-to-ship combat game in which players take control of powerful Rebel X-wings and nimble Imperial TIE fighters, facing them against each other in fast-paced space combat. Featuring stunningly detailed and painted miniatures, X-Wing recreates exciting Star Wars space combat throughout its several included scenarios. Select your crew, plan your maneuvers, and complete your mission!
Each type of ship in X-Wing has a unique piloting dial. Players select a speed and maneuver each turn, concealing their choices from other players. beginning with the lowest skilled pilot, each player reveals what they secretly set on the dial to the other players and executes the maneuver. Official play involves one of the provided scenarios, a range of customization options, varied maneuvers, and possible combat outcomes. Some aspects of play are determined through random generation, with a roll of dice and by drawing cards from a shuffled deck.
Advanced rules scenarios were also included in the initial release—the Core Set—as well as the in five of the subsequent releases, the Millennium Falcon, Slave I, the Lambda-class Shuttle, the Imperial Aces, the Rebel Aces, the YT-2400 Freighter, and the VT-49 Decimator Expansion Packs. Other packs include campaigns, which are series of interconnected missions.
- Mission 1: Political Escort (Core Set)
- Mission 2: Asteroid Run (Core Set)
- Mission 3: Dark Whispers (Core Set)
- Mission 4: Den of Thieves (Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack)
- Mission 5: Preystalker (Slave I Expansion Pack)
- Mission 6: Undeniable Assets (Lambda-class Expansion Pack)
- Mission 7: Cutting the Cord (Imperial Aces Expansion Pack)
- Mission 8: Rendezvous (Rebel Transport Expansion Pack)
- Mission 9: Jump to Subspace (Rebel Aces Expansion Pack)
- Mission 10: Get In, Get Out (YT-2400 Freighter Expansion Pack)
- Mission 11: Interdiction (VT-49 Decimator Expansion Pack)
- Mission 12: Bounty Hunt (IG-2000 Expansion Pack)
- Mission 13: Pursuit (Imperial Raider Expansion Pack)
- Mission 14: Hunting the Hunter (Hound's Tooth Expansion Pack)
- Mission F1: Ambush (The Force Awakens Core Set)
- Mission F2: Raid (The Force Awakens Core Set)
- Mission F3: Rescue (The Force Awakens Core Set)
The X-Wing: Core Set a starter set that features three unique missions, each with its own special rules and conditions for victory, cards, and fully assembled and painted starships—one X-wing and two TIE Fighters. Another Core Set, called The Force Awakens Core Set, was also announced, and like the first Core Set, will feature fully assembled and painted starships—one X-wing and two TIE Fighters. As the name of the set suggests, it was created to promote the release of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens.
Fantasy Flight Games has released several Expansion Packs adding new Pilot Cards and Upgrade Cards for existing ships as well as entirely new ships. All require the Core Set in order to be played.
The first wave of Expansion Packs were released at GenCon 2012 at the same time as the Core Set.
The second wave of Expansion Packs were officially released on February 28, 2013, but participants and organizers of the Kessel Run Preview Event were able to receive them in December 2012, earlier than the 2013 release date.
- Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack
- Slave I Expansion Pack
- A-Wing Expansion Pack
- TIE Interceptor Expansion Pack
The third wave of Expansion Packs were released on September 13, 2013.
- HWK-290 Expansion Pack
- Lambda-class Shuttle Expansion Pack
- B-Wing Expansion Pack
- TIE Bomber Expansion Pack
Wave IV of Expansion Packs were announced on February 7, 2014.
- Z-95 Headhunter Expansion Pack
- TIE Defender Expansion Pack
- E-Wing Expansion Pack
- TIE Phantom Expansion Pack
Wave V of Expansion Packs were announced on June 13, 2014.
Wave VI of Expansion Packs were announced on August 16, 2014.
- StarViper Expansion Pack
- M3-A Interceptor Expansion Pack
- IG-2000 Expansion Pack
- Most Wanted Expansion Pack
The first component of the Wave VII Expansion Packs was announced on April 17, 2015.
- Hound's Tooth Expansion Pack
- Kihraxz Fighter Expansion Pack
- K-wing Expansion Pack
- TIE Punisher Expansion Pack
The first component of the Wave VIII Expansion Packs was announced on July 31, 2015. On September 10, it was also unveiled that two more ships will be included.
- Ghost Expansion Pack
- Inquisitor's TIE Expansion Pack
- Mist Hunter Expansion Pack
- Punishing One Expansion Pack
- T-70 X-wing Expansion Pack
- TIE/fo Fighter Expansion Pack
The ships of the Wave IX Expansion Packs was announced on June 2, 2016.
- ARC-170 Expansion Pack
- Special Forces TIE Expansion Pack
- Protectorate Starfighter Expansion Pack
- Shadow Caster Expansion Pack
- Imperial Aces Expansion Pack
- Rebel Transport Expansion Pack
- Tantive IV Expansion Pack
- Rebel Aces Expansion Pack
- Imperial Raider Expansion Pack
- Imperial Assault Carrier Expansion Pack
- The Force Awakens Core Set
- Imperial Veterans Expansion Pack
- Heroes of the Resistance Expansion Pack
Fantasy Flight Games has also released various accessories to enhance game play in the Star Wars Miniatures game.
Physical and virtual dice packs were release for distribution to provide additional dice for use in the game. This accessory includes an additional set of six custom eight-sided dice, three red attack dice and three green defense dice, allowing both players to have a full set of dice each instead of sharing the dice from the Core Set..
A virtual comprehensive application of the Dice Pack for iOS and Android devices was developed and distributed in app stores specifically allowing players to select and roll custom dice in the X-Wing™ Miniatures Game, the Star Wars Roleplaying Game, and in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, but even includes an assortment of seven types of polyhedral dice for all other gaming needs. Features of the app include an option to allow players to save their most commonly used configurations as "presets," eight iconic backgrounds and six distinct sound packs from the Star Wars universe, and an intuitive radial menu and interactive help guide..
Starfield Game Tile KitEdit
A vivid backdrop for use as a playing surface for X-Wing games, the Starfield Game Tile Kit allows players to build custom environments using any combination of twelve one-square-foot double-sided matte-finished card stock tiles mounted on 2.5mm fiber board for durability. Tiles display several vivid Star Wars–themed images—including starfield, Alderaan, asteroid field, and Death Star tiles—that can by combined together in many different configurations to produce a wide array of Star Wars-themed scenes. The kit includes rules to allow players to go beyond cooperation in pre-game construction and provide the added element of competitively setting up the battlefield.
Behind the scenesEdit
Although the game itself is spelled "X-Wing" (with an upper-case W), all references to the in-universe ship are spelled "X-wing" (with a lower-case W), as it is spelled in other media.
In order to make the ship models correctly proportioned and detailed, Lucasfilm provided Fantasy Flight Games with exact dimensional data and access to information about the models from the original trilogy.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Launch Your Attack Run—X-Wing (TM) Launches into Action with Organized Play
- ↑ "I Have You Now…—Announcing X-Wing, a tactical miniatures game in the Star Wars universe"
- ↑ "Use The Force—Announcing upcoming titles set in the Star Wars (TM) universe"
- ↑ "Accelerate to Attack Speed — An update regarding the X-Wing Miniatures Game"
- ↑ The X-Wing (TM): Dice Pack Is Now Available—Speed Up Your Games with Additional Dice
- ↑ Make the Jump to Hyperspace—Announcing the STAR WARS(TM) Dice App for your iOS and Android Device
- ↑ Bolder Battlefields—Announcing the X-Wing (TM) Starfield Game Tile Kit
- ↑ The Making of X-Wing (TM)—Peek Behind the Curtain with X-Wing Production Notes