|Chronological and political information|
Yarua was a male Wookiee Senator who represented Mytaranor sector in the Senate during the waning days of the Galactic Republic, as well as during the Clone Wars. He was assisted by two Wookiee aides and, at the end of his career, Yarua had at least 100 years in his senatorial place.
A male member of the Wookiee species, Yarua originated from the arboreal Kashyyyk, a planet of the Mytaranor sector. In his younger years, Yarua only wished to work in the family business and prepare for taking its leadership in time due. But events went out of control: at the age of 120, Yarua was forced to take the mantle of patriarch when his father died in an accident. The Wookiee took his new role with profound importance, learning to deal with conflicts by using diplomacy rather than brute force. He emerged as a capable diplomat, and the elders of his community came to admire him. Around 119 BBY, when the Wookiee senator who represented his people before the Congress of the Galactic Republic retired, the elders urged Yarua to succeed him. The young patriarch accepted the honor his peers did him and travelled to Coruscant, capital world of the Republic.
Yarua was one of the senators who supported Finis Valorum's sanctions against the Yinchorri in 33 BBY. Later that year, Chancellor Valorum proposed the taxation of the until then free trade zones. Senator Palpatine of Naboo then suggested that a part of the collected money could be invested in the growth of planetary systems in the affected areas. Yarua and other Senators of the region, including Tendau Bendon and Horox Ryyder, cheerfully supported the idea.
Before the Clone Wars, several peace negotiation meetings between the Wookiees and the Trandoshans took place on Hsskhor, but none reached profitable results. Senator Yarua and Trandoshan Speaker-Above-All Hadocrassk met up with the diplomat Jedi Oppo Rancisis, trying to find peace between the two cultures. Unfortunately, serious attacks from the Trandoshans against the Wookiees, including the destruction of a transport with 215 Wookiees, made it almost impossible. The negotiations finally stopped when it was learned that the Trandoshans had support from the Trade Federation, and finally declared themselves as Republican opponents.
Following the Battle of Kashyyyk, Yarua and the other members of the Kashyyyk Senatorial delegation were arrested and removed by the Galactic Empire, because the government on Kashyyyk was helping to hide Jedi Knights.
Personality and traitsEdit
Despite his attachment to diplomacy, Yarua still had the fiery temper of most Wookiees, and he would sometimes give way to anger.When he withdrew his delegation from the negociations with the Trandoshans in 22 BBY, Yarua destroyed the protocol droid translating the talks by pulling the interpreter's right arm out of its socket. Nonetheless, Senator Yarua possessed a firm sense of fairness and was known as a forceful champion of justice in the Senate. In the halls of the Senate Rotunda, his imposing stature and fierce attitude inspired reverent awe among his peers.
Yarua of Kashyyyk despised the rampant corruption around him, and he found representation of commercial power within the Senate scandalous. Although his fondest wish was to return to the peace and tranquillity of his homeworld, the Wookiee was bent on seeing his responsibilities through to the end. Throughout his career, Yarua was a enthusiastic supporter of the Republican reform movements, which he thought could be funded by a through taxation plan.
Behind the scenesEdit
Yarua was played by John Coppinger.
Yarua is also the name of a small city in Peru.
- Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
- Jedi Council: Acts of War 4
- Cloak of Deception
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- HoloNet News Vol. 531 47 —
- HoloNet News Vol. 531 48 —
- HoloNet News Vol. 531 50 —
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones comic
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones PhotoComic
- Republic HoloNet News Core Edition 14:10:03
- Star Wars: Republic 61: Dead Ends
- Star Wars: Republic 63: Striking from the Shadows
- Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace: The Official Souvenir Magazine
- Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide
- "The Jedi Council" - Young Jedi Collectible Card Game (Card: )
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Coruscant Limited (Card: Yarua)
- Secrets of Kashyyyk"—Star Wars Gamer 4 "
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- "Strangers Among Us: The Aliens Who Built the Galactic Empire"—Star Wars Insider 96
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- "Blood Feud!"—Star Wars Insider 124
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Secrets of Kashyyyk
- ↑ Jedi Council: Acts of War 4
- ↑ Cloak of Deception
- ↑ HoloNet News Vol. 531 48 —
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 HoloNet News Vol. 531 50 —
- ↑ Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
- ↑ Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Coruscant Limited (Card: Yarua)