Ysalamiri were furry, lizard-like tree-dwellers (on average, about 50cm in length) native to the planet Myrkr, most known for their ability to repel the Force by creating a Force-neutral bubble. This ability evolved in response to predation by the Force-sensitive vornskrs. Many ysalamiri grouped together would expand their Force-neutral bubble by varying distances – sometimes by kilometers.
- "I hate that thing."
- ―Jaina Solo, complaining about the ysalamir's ability to repel the Force
Adult ysalamiri grew up to 90 or 120 centimeters and hatched their young from bubble-like eggs.
Ysalamiri sank their claws into the Olbio trees on which they lived and drew nutrients. It was very difficult to remove a ysalamir from its tree without killing it, although Talon Karrde's smugglers found a way, enabling Grand Admiral Thrawn to do it as well. Thrawn used ysalamiri for defense by attaching them to a back harness or a nutrient frame which allowed him and his men to remain safely inside the ysalamiri's Force repelling bubble. He used this trick to gain the attention of cloned Dark Jedi Master Joruus C'baoth and accelerated the Spaarti cloning process without the usual side-effects (which occurred when similar Force imprints interfered with one another).
Ysalamiri did not actually negate the Force; since all existence was infused with Force energy, this would not be possible. Rather, they projected a bubble inside which users were unable to exert any influence over the Force. A single bubble measured up to 10 meters in diameter; large groups of ysalamiri could extend their collective bubble by kilometers, but only in great numbers.
Miriskin was a commodity supposedly made from ysalamir skin.
Ysalamiri in cultureEdit
Tyber Zann was known for keeping ysalamiri in cages to prevent Force users from being able to cause too much damage.
- Darth Plagueis (Mentioned only)
- (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Tiny Death Star (Non-canonical appearance)
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
- Shadows in the Force (Mentioned only)
- A Credit for Your Thoughts"—Star Wars Gamer 2 (Mentioned only) "
- Heir to the Empire (First appearance)
- Dark Force Rising
- The Last Command
- The Crystal Star (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
- I, Jedi
- Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (Non-canon appearance in multiplayer mode)
- The Crystal Star (Mentioned only)
- The New Rebellion
- Vision of the Future
- The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide II: Ruin (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory I: Conquest (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Star by Star
- The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic II: Refugee (in Tahiri Veila's dream)
- Dark Nest I: The Joiner King (Mentioned only)
- Legacy of the Force: Fury
- Fate of the Jedi: Omen
- Fate of the Jedi: Abyss
- Fate of the Jedi: Allies
- Fate of the Jedi: Ascension
- Heir to the Empire Sourcebook
- Galaxy Guide 8: Scouts (As "ysalamiri")
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Second Edition
- "The Hand of Zahn"—Star Wars Insider 36
- "Expansion Team"—Star Wars Galaxy Collector 3 (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Power of the Force toy line
- Star Wars: The Action Figure Archive
- Alien Anthology
- The Essential Guide to Alien Species
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 5 (THR4, Grand Admiral Thrawn)
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- Ultimate Adversaries
- Threats of the Galaxy
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook