Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Yuuzhan Vong was the language spoken by the extra-galactic Yuuzhan Vong species, as well as their Chazrach slaves. It was a highly guttural language, and Basic speakers often thought of it as sounding like coughs and snarls. Few Yuuzhan Vong learned to speak Basic (which they found rather "clicky") or other languages, preferring to use tizowyrms as translators.
The most common word order in Yuuzhan Vong was Verb-Object-Subject, with adverbs and adjectives following the part of speech they modified.
The plural form of a Yuuzhan Vong noun is formed by adding -'o; Yun (god), Yun'o (gods)
Possessive and genitive constructionsEdit
Singular possessives in Yuuzhan Vong were usually formed by affixing the item to the possessor; Yun'tchilat (God's will). Plural possessives took the ending -tu; nom'o-tu tchilat (the enemies' will). Some nouns, however, could not have the possessive marker, and so the marker was affixed to the item possessed instead, using -te for items ending in "t," and -tu for items ending in other letters; tchilatte Yun-Yuuzhan (Yun-Yuuzhan's will), or canbin-tu ro'ik (the enemy's fort). There was also a special respective prefix, Al', used with names and titles; Al'Shimrra (Shimrra's). Note that possessive pronouns had no special form, but always took a possessive suffix; Tiu-tu (mine).
The verb to beEdit
The Yuuzhan Vong had two words for the verb to be: "Pryozz," and "Sos." Pryozz was used with the first and second person (a broad transcription would be "am"), while Sos was used with the third person (corresponding somewhat to "is") Yuuzhan Vong; however, like Mando'a, often left out the verb to be, so "the youths are enemies" could be said as "Yenagh'o sos nom'o," or "Yenagh'o nom'o." (Subjects precede the verb to be)
There were no regular articles in Yuuzhan Vong, with the indefinite or definite form of the noun being derived from context. There was, however, an emphatic definite article tur; or the, which is used only for emphasis. There was also a rarely used "singular" emphatic definite article sen; or the only, used to signify an object's uniqueness.
It must be noted that the following section contains words derived from the above phrases, and may not be 100% accurate in all cases.
Note that Yuuzhan Vong have no words for sorrow or forgiveness, as such a concept was unknown in their culture of sacrifice and unquestioning obedience.
- Belek - "command!" (imperative mood, stem is perhaps bele)
- Bruk - "weaken!" (imperative mood; stem is perhaps bru)
- Dag - "to have"
- Duwin - "to release"
- Guvvuk - "move!" (imperative mood, stem is perhaps guvvu)
- Poonsii - "to close"
- Pryozz - "am" (first person singular of Basic to be)
- Shel - "to shape," "to form"
- Sos - "is" (singular form of Basic to be)
- Tanna - "to live long"
- Tchurokk - "witness!", "behold!" (imperative mood; stem is perhaps tchurok)
- Tsii - "to cause"
Adjectives and adverbsEdit
- Brenzlit - "timid"
- Doa - "these"
- Eia - "they"
- Hu - "it" (debatable)
- Ne - "she"
- Nikk - "I"
- Prat - "us" (debatable)
- Si - "that"
- Tiu - "me"
- Tiz - "him"
- Sor - "against"
- Bos - "what?"
- Dwi - "yes" as an affirmative response
- Puul - "no"
- Qe'u - "hey, you there!"
- Remaga - "where?"
- Sen - "the only" (used of unique objects)
- Tur - "the" (used for emphasis)
- In the language, the word commonly translated as "peace" literally meant "willing and appropriate submission from conquered to conqueror."
- bruk tukken, which literally means "to weaken the hinge," came to mean simply "make weak," as in a military or economic sense.
- In Yuuzhan Vong, the words nom, and ro'ik both appear to mean "enemy." Nom appears to refer to the enemy of a nation or people (the New Republic was the enemy of the Empire), whereas Ro'ik appears to refer to the enemy of an idea (the Jedi are enemies of the Sith).
- The New Jedi Order: Vector Prime (First appearance)
- Invasion: Refugees 3
- Invasion: Rescues 1
- Invasion: Rescues 2
- Invasion: Rescues 3
- The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide II: Ruin
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial
- The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory I: Conquest
- The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory II: Rebirth
- The New Jedi Order: Star by Star
- The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream
- The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand
- The New Jedi Order: Traitor
- The New Jedi Order: Destiny's Way
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic I: Remnant
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic III: Reunion
- The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force
- Legacy 44: Monster, Part 2
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- Ultimate Alien Anthology
- Ultimate Adversaries
- Legacy Era Campaign Guide