- "Z9 says he cannot make contact with anyone."
- ―Wilhuff Tarkin, after Z9's attempt at contacting the fast-approaching cruiser
Z9 was a masculine-programmed R5 astromech droid who served the Galactic Republic and was owned by Admiral Wilhuff Tarkin during the Clone Wars. Z9 was aboard the space station Valor along with Tarkin shortly before the Republic strategy conference on board the station was set to begin. When the final Republic cruiser set to arrive at Valor—which, unbeknownst to those aboard the station, was under Separatist control—was approaching too quickly, Z9 attempted to hail the ship's crew, but was unable to make contact. While the Separatists had planned to ram Valor with the cruiser, it detonated prior to reaching the station thanks to the efforts of a Republic squad that had infiltrated the vessel, saving Valor and much of the Republic fleet around the station.
- "The cruiser has not slowed its pace."
- ―Wilhuff Tarkin, on the speed of the incoming cruiser over Carida
Manufactured by Industrial Automaton, Z9 was a masculine-programmed R5 astromech droid who served the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars, a galaxy-spanning conflict against the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Z9 was owned by Republic Navy admiral Wilhuff Tarkin. In the year 20 BBY, the Republic strategy conference, a meeting of several Republic military officers and the Jedi High Council to discuss the ongoing war effort, was to be held aboard the space station Valor in the Carida system. Z9 and Tarkin were both present on board the station shortly before the start of the conference, as they awaited the arrival of one final cruiser. Unbeknownst to Z9 and the others on board Valor, the last cruiser had been overtaken by the Separatists, who had loaded the ship with rhydonium, a volatile fuel, and planned to ram the cruiser into the station.
As the last cruiser emerged from hyperspace, those on board Valor noticed that the ship was coming in fast and showed no signs of stopping. Z9 attempted to hail the cruiser's crew, but to no avail. As the ship continued its approach, the rhydonium on board suddenly detonated before the cruiser could reach the station—the cruiser had blown up prematurely thanks to the efforts of D-Squad, a Republic squad of spy droids that had boarded the vessel prior to its jump to the Carida system. While Valor and the Republic fleet over the planet Carida were bombarded with debris, the station itself—which Z9 was still aboard—and many of the Republic vessels remained intact.
An R5 astromech droid, Z9 possessed masculine programming and was colored light gray and red. Running along the edge of the droid's gray legs was a streak of red, and he had a predominately red-colored head. Z9 was equipped with a repair arm, and sitting atop the right side of his head was an antenna, an accessory also found on some other members of the R5 line. Z9, like other R5 units, stood at 0.97 meters, or 1.29 meters with the inclusion of his antenna.
As the secretly-Separatist-controlled Republic cruiser rapidly approached space station Valor, Z9 was quick to attempt to make contact with the incoming ship from aboard the station.
Behind the scenesEdit
Z9 appeared in the thirteenth episode of the animated television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars' fifth season, "Point of No Return," which aired on January 12, 2013. While Z9 is depicted as an R5 astromech, there are two shots in the episode that mistakenly show Z9 as a different model of astromech.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Point of No Return"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 In the Databank entry for U9-C4, an R5 unit, U9-C4's height is listed as 1.29 meters with the inclusion of his antenna. In the Databank entry for R5-D4, another R5 unit, R5-D4's height is listed as 0.97 meters. While not specified, since U9-C4 and R5-D4 are both R5 units and therefore have the same height, R5-D4's listed height of 0.97 meters must be without the inclusion of his antenna. Therefore, since Z9 is shown to be an R5 unit in "Point of No Return," his height without the inclusion of his antenna must be 0.97 meters, and 1.29 meters with his antenna included.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Missing in Action"