- "The Zann Consortium shall rule!"
- ―Tyber Zann
The Zann Consortium was an underworld consortium and crime syndicate led by Tyber Zann which sabotaged and interfered with Rebel and Imperial affairs during the Galactic Civil War. During the course of the war, it amassed considerable power and wealth, eventually becoming a major nuisance—and even threat—to both the Empire and the Rebellion.
The Consortium would become more powerful after the Battle of Endor due to Tyber Zann's discovery of Palpatine's hidden vaults and the elimination of its main rivals: Jabba the Hutt and Prince Xizor. The Zann Consortium gained most of its technology through its affiliation with the black market, and its Defilers, which were known for traveling to hostile systems and setting up illegal outposts which promoted piracy and sabotage.
Formation and dissolutionEdit
The Zann Consortium was formed at some point before 0 ABY. Led by crime lord Tyber Zann, the movement spread corruption throughout the Galaxy and at some point, joined forces with the Black Hole Pirates. Zann worked closely with affiliate Jabba the Hutt and learned much from the corpulent gangster. Zann then stole a valuable Sith holocron from Jabba, but was arrested by Imperial forces on Felucia and sent to Kessel. Moments before his arrest, Zann entrusted the holocron to his partner, Urai Fen. He evaded capture and escaped the planet with the artifact.
Concerned for the survival of the Consortium, Urai Fen contacted allies of the Consortium on Kamino. Kamino then served as a base for a very limited time, but the Kaminoans, with very few resources, could not contribute much. The Consortium then decided to relocate to Ryloth so Fen moved Consortium forces from Kamino to Ryloth. He led the Consortium to victory over the Imperial forces on Ryloth, the only remaining obstacle to the group's use of the planet, and laid low until Tyber Zann was ready.
Escape from Kessel and reformationEdit
- "My stay in prison has not done wonders for the Consortium."
- ―Tyber Zann
Zann continued to languish in the prisons of Kessel until Jabba the Hutt, gloating at Zann's capture, released him from his cell while delivering a message broadcast via an MSE-6 droid. Fortunately, Zann was already planning his escape by engineering a prison riot and slipping out amongst the chaos. Urai Fen was already in orbit of the planet and was promptly contacted by Zann. Fen then landed on the planet with help from Han Solo and Chewbacca in the Millennium Falcon.
A bounty hunter sent by Jabba the Hutt caught up with an unarmed Zann as he left his cell, only to be killed by Fen, who gave Zann back an upgraded version of Zann's old pistol. Tyber and Urai managed to bribe and fight through the security checkpoints and past stormtroopers and a few Phase II dark troopers, breaking other prisoners free as a distraction to aid them in his escape. The pair finally made their rendezvous with an impatient Solo, and Zann left the prisoners to their fate and made his exit in the Millennium Falcon. After his departure from Kessel, Tyber Zann began his campaign to restore the Consortium to power in the galaxy.
Accumulation of powerEdit
The Palace on Ryloth was the only Consortium asset remaining to the Consortium together with a handful of mercenary soldiers. In order to announce to the galaxy that the Zann Consortium was back in business, Zann had Fen assassinate the Imperial Governor on Honoghr. A racketeering operation was promptly set up on Shola followed by a series of raids on Mandal Hypernautics. This gave the Consortium a modest supply of funds and ships while power was quietly being built up. Zann was obsessed with gaining revenge on the Empire and heard that the Emperor stored his fortune in private vaults. Planning to rob them, Zann decided to scout the Yavin system once the news of the destruction of the Death Star, reasoning that it was standard operating procedure for personnel on Imperial stations to eject data pods before they were destroyed. Tyber commanded a small fleet and rummaged through the remains of the first Death Star in orbit around Yavin Prime. After engaging Rebel Alliance forces in the area commanded by Wedge Antilles, he found a data pod containing discovered plans for the Eclipse-class dreadnought which was currently under construction in the Kuat Drive Yards, as well as plans for the Aggressor-class destroyer. Zann planned to seize The Eclipse, as it was going to be the Emperor's personal flagship (just as the Executor was the personal flagship of Darth Vader).
While Zann was battling both the Rebels and Imperials in the Yavin system, Jabba the Hutt struck at the Consortium on Ryloth, destroying the barracks there as well as hitting other Consortium assets across the galaxy. This prompted Zann to deal with the Hutt threat once and for all. Consortium agents had discovered that Jabba the Hutt was co-ordinating his forces through a relay station on Saleucami which was swiftly captured by Urai Fen. This then pointed the Consortium in the direction of Hypori where Zann had a final showdown with Jabba inside an old CIS battle droid factory. After shutting down the automated production lines and bribing the Trandoshan bounty hunter Bossk, Zann had Jabba by the throat, demanded the bounty on his head removed, the attacks on Consortium personnel and property ceased and the permanent secession of Saleucami and Hypori to the Consortium in exchange for letting him go. Jabba agreed on the provision that Hutt Space was to be left alone. The factories on Hypori would now churn out second generation Droideka's.
The Zann Consortium would continue to operate behind the scenes, establishing its presence on numerous planetary systems across the galaxy. They dealt extensively in slaves, particularly on Sullust, Kashyyyk, Dac and Naboo, some of which were used as cannon fodder during Consortium ground operations. Kidnapping of Imperial and Rebel officials was not beyond the Consortium—perhaps the most famous "victim" being Bevel Lemelisk who was abducted from Kuat. Zann also became embroiled in the downfall of Black Sun leader Prince Xizor, framing him for stealing tibanna gas from Bespin, despite the arrival of Imperial reinforcements, including Darth Vader.
Shortly after the Battle of Endor, Tyber managed to capture the Eclipse, and destroyed another Super Star Destroyer. Zann proceeded to steal billions of credits, technical data spanning for decades, and priceless works of art, from Emperor Palpatine's personal vault network, thus ensuring that the Consortium expand to Galactic levels. After his theft, Tyber decided to abandon the Eclipse as it would be a "target even the Rebels could not ignore." The Eclipse was later recovered by Imperial forces, who continued its construction. Zann also decided to let the Rebel Alliance form their New Republic, as he viewed its creation as an opportunity to allow him to "own a senator."
The Consortium was also intent on discovering the mysteries of the ancient Sith holocron, stolen from Jabba while he was making a deal with the Galactic Empire on Felucia. However, Silri, a Nightsister in Zann's employ, stole the holocron during the theft on Coruscant before they could decipher it, and unlocked its secrets. The artifact led her to an ancient Sith tomb, with thousands of Sith soldiers frozen in carbonite.
The Zann Consortium fleet had been defeated for a number of years by the time Admiral Natasi Daala's fleet emerged from the Maw installation and initiated her series of attacks on the New Republic in 11 ABY.
Only one mission before the theft of Jabba's artifact and the dissolution of the Consortium is known, but known missions from that point onwards included:
- Kidnapping the Supreme Strategist of Mandalore
- Establishing and using a black market on Nal Hutta
- Stealing Jabba the Hutt's Sith artifact on Felucia
- Moving Consortium forces to Kamino
- Breaking Tyber Zann out of the prisons of Kessel
- Intimidating the Noghri on Honoghr
- Establishing racketeering on Shola
- Dueling the Mandalorian Clan Leader above Mandalore
- Kidnapping Spaceport Director Tanda on Nal Hutta
- Searching the remnants of the first Death Star for information capsules
- Establishing and using a black market on Kuat
- Attacking Governor Koong Eeth on Saleucami
- Sabotaging and invading Jabba's outpost on Saleucami
- Invading the droid factory on Hypori
- Freeing Silri for information on the artifact
- Setting up a slave ring on Sullust for enslaving native Sullustans.
- Raiding tibanna gas on Bespin and blaming Xizor
- Meeting Grand Admiral Thrawn above Carida
- Raiding the Emperor's vault on Coruscant
- Fighting in the Battle for the Eclipse
The Zann Consortium used its extensive crime network to influence the warring factions during the Galactic Civil War, siphon their credits, and sabotage their operations when necessary. It dealt in multiple illegal operations, such as establishing widespread racketeering jobs on many worlds; bribery, piracy, slavery, and corrupting local militia on planets, as well as intimidating or kidnapping individuals who defied the Consortium. One particular means of income was offering military protection to planets that wanted no part in the on-going Galactic Civil War. They also extorted money from miners. The Consortium also constructed Palaces on various worlds which served as its financial centers.
With access to the black market, Zann had several unique technologies at his disposal, including buzz droids and stealth generators that allowed undetected movement across the Galaxy. The Zann Consortium also hired bounty hunters such as Bossk and IG-88 to eliminate certain targets in order to further their influence.
- Consortium palace
- Mercenary barracks
- Zann Consortium Droid Works
- Zann Consortium Heavy Vehicle Factory
- Repulsorlift jammer
- PTL-05 Launch Platform
- MSt-50 Mass Driver Cannon
- Field bacta tank
- Automated repair droid
- X2-a series sensor node
The Consortium used a powerful army to gain victory during battles on land. They used either black market technology or their own, depending upon the conditions.
- Mercenary Assault Squads
- Ewok Handlers
- Nightsisters, riding rancors
- Slaves of various species, including:
Black Market TechnologyEdit
- Disruptor rifles
- Core overload
- Proximity mines
- Buzz droids
- Cloaking devices
- Point-defense laser cannons
- Sensor jammers
- Carbonite missiles
- Shield leeching devices
- MZ-8 Mobile Pulse Cannon
- F9-TZ Transport
- Missile Attack Launcher
- Canderous-class assault tank
- Mobile Defense Unit
- All Terrain Attack Pod
- Infantry Support Platform
- Bantha-II cargo skiff
- HAVt B5 Juggernaut (originally Empire)
The Zann Consortium used starfleets in space combat, utilizing both black market technology as well as their own. Most of these were built at Consortium space stations.
- StarViper-class attack platform (equipped with buzz droids)
- StarViper M-2 fighters
- Skipray Blastboat
- TIE/LN starfighter (originally Empire)
- TIE/sa bomber (originally Empire)
- TIE/D Defender (originally Empire)
- A-Wing (originally Rebel)
- Rihkxyrk Assault Fighter
- TZ-86 transport
- RZ-52 Dekard transport
- TZ-15 shuttle
- Lambda-class T-4a shuttle (originally Empire, only known use is during Theft on Bespin)
- Crusader-class corvette
- Tartan-class patrol cruiser (originally Empire)
- Broadside-class cruiser kdb-1 (originally Empire)
- CR90 corvette (originally Rebel)
- Marauder-class corvette (originally Rebel)
- IPV-1 System Patrol Craft
- Vengeance-class frigate
- Interceptor IV frigate
- EF76 Nebulon-B escort frigate (originally Rebel)
- Acclamator-class assault ship (originally Empire)
- Immobilizer 418 cruiser (originally Empire, only known use is during Piracy over Bespin)
- Aggressor-class Star Destroyer (stolen Imperial design)
- Keldabe-class battleship
- Venator-class Star Destroyer
- Eclipse-class dreadnought (During Battle for the Eclipse)
- IG-2000 (Theft on Bespin onwards)
- Hound's Tooth (Until Space Battle at Carida)
- Merciless (Space Battle at Carida onwards)
- Eclipse (During Battle for the Eclipse)
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption (First appearance)
- Millennium Falcon (Mentioned only)
- Mask of the Pirate Queen
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption: Prima Official Game Guide
- Underworld: A Galaxy of Scum and Villainy
- Starships of the Galaxy, Saga Edition
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- Scum and Villainy
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Rebellion Era Campaign Guide
- Scavenger's Guide to Droids
- (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Suns of Fortune
- Fly Casual