Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "I am but a leaf blown by the winds of the Force. I trust my purpose in being anywhere will eventually be revealed to me."
Zao was a blind, elderly male Veknoid Jedi Master, and an accomplished chef, who served the Jedi Order during the final years of the Galactic Republic. He did not accept missions from the Jedi High Council, but followed the will of the Force as he traveled about the galaxy. Those who ate Zao's cooking often found that its taste, whether good or bad, reflected the degree to which their current mental state was in harmony with the Force. In spite of his blindness, he remained a formidable and lethal adversary, wielding his unique lightsaber cane with frightening accuracy.
A wandering JediEdit
- "The war is already won or lost as the Force wills. We are all leaves blown by its wind."
A Force-sensitive Veknoid, Zao was educated in the ways of the Force by the Jedi Order, attaining the rank of Jedi Master, by which time he was blind. By the time the dark side of the Force began to grow more potent, Master Zao no longer took on formal missions for the Jedi High Council. Instead, the Veknoid Jedi traveled as he believed the Force directed him, moving from one world to another as the currents of the Force flowed. At some point, Zao constructed a blue-bladed lightsaber cane, using it as a walking stick, weapon, and cooking instrument.
In 30 BBY, Zao was serving as a chef to the Aqualish crime lord Gorto Zaga on Kiffex. Through his cooking, Zao attempted to teach his philosophy to those who consumed it: whether the food tasted bad or good was determined by the balance within the consumer. Those who were not in balance with the Force would find the food foul or bitter; those with good balance would enjoy the meal. As Zaga was an immoral criminal, he found Zao's cooking to be unpleasant.
Departing the crime lord's company, Zao stumbled upon Jedi Knight, Quinlan Vos, who was in search for his missing Padawan, Aayla Secura. Believing the Force had brought them together for this very purpose, Zao aided Vos and Master Tholme in fighting off Zaga's guards. Soon however, the planet's feral population of Anzati stormed the Black Hole cantina. Discovering that Secura was leading the feral Anzati, Vos and Tholme set out to free her from the thrall of the dark side of the Force; Zao took his leave of the other Jedi and departed the world.
When the Clone Wars erupted a decade later between the Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems, Zao invoked the Right of Denial and did not take up his lightsaber in the fight; the Veknoid believed the war was in direct violation of the will of the Force. Instead, Zao continued wandering between the stars; the High Council so seldom heard from Zao that many believed him dead. By the last year of the war, Zao had set up a food-selling hovel on the streets of Saleucami's capital city.
During his stay on Saleucami, Master Tholme came across the aging Veknoid's food stand and took a meal with his old colleague. Investigating rumors that Dark Jedi Sora Bulq was amassing a large army of cloned Morgukai warriors, Tholme asked for Zao's assistance. Despite Zao believing that the Order was misguided in serving a corrupt Republic, the old Master agreed to point Tholme in the hidden entrance to Bulq's underground cloning facilities.
Great Jedi PurgeEdit
Several weeks after his encounter with Tholme, the Republic and the Jedi Order were destroyed by the machinations of the Republic's Supreme Chancellor, who was in fact the Dark Lord of the Sith, Darth Sidious. Despite the lingering presence of members of the Grand Army of the Republic on Saleucami and their new standing orders to execute all members of the Jedi, Zao was able to avoid detection. Dressed as a beggar, Zao's anonymity ensured his safety during this time.
Having survived the early stages of the Great Jedi Purge, Zao eluded detection until his meeting in a refugee camp on Arkinnea with Jedi Master K'Kruhk, a Padawan named Chase Piru and nine younglings under the Whiphid's protection. After briefly mentoring the younglings, Zao confided in K'Kruhk that he sensed great danger in the camp and suggested they leave immediately. The Jedi then escaped the encampment. K'Kruhk then stole a wagon while Zao led the younglings to gather food from the farmlands. But as they made their way into the mountains, they discover that the militia had massacred the refugees and dumped their bodies there.
Powers and abilitiesEdit
Zao was a powerful yet mysterious Jedi who relied on the Force to control almost all natures of his life due to his blindness. He was skilled with his lightsaber staff, despite his blindness. He also created a soup, that according to him, was completely in harmony with the Force - those who tasted it experienced different flavors depending on their own balance within the Force. Tholme and T'ra Saa, for example, thought it was delicious, while Quinlan Vos tasted nothing, and Vilmarh Grahrk found it disgusting.
In combat Zao could deflect a blaster bolt from an Arkinnea Militia soldier, and telekinetically "squeeze" a rock formation out of the ground to act as a shield. He was also a skilled telepath, as he aided Tholme and T'ra Saa in their efforts to help Quinlan Vos remain in the light.
Behind the scenesEdit
Zao's name was adapted from "Tao"—the name of the oriental philosophical system. The way of Tao is very similar to Zao's beliefs.
- Star Wars 33: Darkness, Part 2 (First appearance)
- Star Wars 34: Darkness, Part 3
- Star Wars 35: Darkness, Part 4
- Star Wars 43: Rite of Passage, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- Republic 69: Dreadnaughts of Rendili, Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Republic: Trackdown
- Republic 75: Siege of Saleucami, Part 2 (Vision to Tholme)
- Republic 79: Into the Unknown, Part 1
- Star Wars: Dark Times—Fire Carrier
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 137 (VOL4, Volfe Karkko)
- Star Wars: Panel to Panel Volume 2: Expanding the Universe
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Star Wars 33: Darkness, Part 2
- ↑ Dark Times—Fire Carrier 5
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Star Wars: Dark Times—Fire Carrier
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: Republic: Trackdown
- ↑ Star Wars 34: Darkness, Part 3
- ↑ Star Wars: Republic: Into the Unknown
- ↑ Dark Times—Fire Carrier 5
- ↑ Star Wars 35: Darkness, Part 4
- ↑ The Official John Ostrander Discussion Thread on the Jedi Council Forums (Authors and Artists board; posted by jfostrander on 9/23/05 7:52am)
- ↑ Legacy #1 (pre-release discussion) on the Jedi Council Forums (Literature board; posted by Jan_Duursema on 3/25/06 7:36am)